Left Thumb hurts while playing video game

Cybertech119

Trophies
Hello there;
Why does playing video games cause so much pain in my left thumb?
I'm sick of it.

For this answer, I'm going to assume you're using a controller, but correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, It would be helpful to know what it is you're specifically using.

I think the most probable cause is that you're pushing the stick too hard causing you thumb and hand to cramp up. It's also possible your thumb might not be gripping the stick properly due to grease and dirt of the stick's grip or ware on the stick's grip itself. So I'd do the following:

1. Inspect your controller to see if there are any defects. Repair, clean and replace if necessary. Please note that you do not necessarily need to replace the controller, you can just buy new grips to cover the current ones, such as these.
  2. Review how you hold the controller. What you want to do is hold the controller low with you arms out at a distance you body and relaxed. I find that holding the controller whilst resting my arms on my lap is very comfortable

Last edited:
For this answer, I'm going to assume you're using a controller, but correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, It would be helpful to know what it is you're specifically using.

I think the most probable cause is that you're pushing the stick too hard causing you thumb and hand to cramp up. It's also possible your thumb might not be gripping the stick properly due to grease and dirt of the stick's grip or ware on the stick's grip itself. So I'd do the following:

1. Inspect your controller to see if there are any defects. Repair, clean and replace if necessary. Please note that you do not necessarily need to replace the controller, you can just buy new grips to cover the current ones, such as these.
  2. Review how you hold the controller. What you want to do is hold the controller low with you arms out at a distance you body and relaxed. I find that holding the controller whilst resting my arms on my lap is very comfortable
I also agree that we can attempt a couple different solutions to the issue. In order to find any flaws, you should first analyze your controller. The issue could be brought on by the stick being loose or the grip becoming worn. If the controller needs fixing, you can try to fix it or replace it.

I had this experience very well when I was playing on Playstation 1. The buttons weren't soft and I tend to press too hard when playing. Games I play required constant tapping and go hard on it. I don't only hurt my thumb but also damage my pad all the time.

I remember having this issue myself back when I was using an older controller, it was the way the thumb sticks were made and it was causing pain in my thumbs. I bought thumb grips and that seemed to help a lot.

I would definitely look at your controller but I would also take note when you are playing video games as well. You could very well be pushing the thumb sticks a little too hard which may cause pain.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back