The 3DS and Wii U Make the Switch 2 Fresh

switch-2.jpeg

I've given this some thought, and I can't be the only one who feels that the most sensible thing for Nintendo to do right now would be to release a more powerful iteration of the same hybrid system idea as the Switch in an effort to replicate its phenomenal success. It's easy to see them taking the OLED model and upgrading the hardware by adding a more powerful set of pro joy-con. It's likely at this time that such a device would be within Nintendo's pricing range and would be able to produce 4K when docked and 1080p in portable. This is fine and should be a simple method of maintaining revenue, but it's not very Nintendo-esque to just produce an updated version of the previous system.
Only the Game Boy (Color) to Game Boy Advance, the Nintendo Entertainment System to the Super Nintendo, and the Nintendo 64 to the GameCube are instances of this. That's about it (maybe the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) to Nintendo 64 (N64), although I'd argue that the shift to 3D was significant enough to warrant its own category). Everything else they've done to accommodate hardware upgrades—from the transition to 3D to the use of two screens to motion controls to Stereoscopic 3D to a detachable second screen controller to a hybrid console/handheld—has been accompanied by something novel. Obviously, you understand what I mean.

What, therefore, does Nintendo improve upon with the Switch 2 beyond increasing its processing power and (presumably) enhancing the quality of its Joy-Con controllers? Maybe they might wow us with a holographic screen or something else I can't even begin to imagine, but I believe they could accomplish a lot just by bringing back forgotten ideas from the last generation of groundbreaking Nintendo gear.

First, think about how many Switch consoles are already in use; the first Switch has sold more than 114 million devices, and the total is likely closer to 120 million. Consider that, as Nintendo sold just 13.5 million Wii U consoles worldwide. If so many individuals already possess a Nintendo Switch, it's likely that many of them will be among the first to purchase a Switch 2 when it's released. They may be able to leverage this to Nintendo's benefit. Give the Switch 1 the ability to link up with the Switch 2 and serve as a second controller for the second screen. Nintendo may attempt to persuade you to hang on to the original Switch so that you may take advantage of innovative two-screen gaming configurations with the Switch 2, and so that you can play titles that are compatible with both systems via a local area network (I imagine a Switch 2 will be backwards compatible with the Switch 1).

Naturally, this should remain a supplemental control mode, since not everyone would own both systems, but enabling it would make activities like course creation in Mario Maker more fun, just as they were on the Wii U. In games like Tears of the Kingdom and BOTW, we may have mobile inventory management and map viewing. Although this may require downloading a companion software for each game on the original Switch, it is certainly possible (though potentially huge, depending on the game), since Nintendo previously allowed such a concept with download play for single-pak multiplayer with titles on the 3DS, DS, and GBA.

All in all, this is great news for the revival of two-screen play and the potential for more asymmetrical experiences in the new format. A better solution would be to make it possible to play it in stereoscopic 3D without the need for special glasses when played on a portable device. I have no idea what type of technical specifications would be required, but just think: we could play games at full 1080p resolution on the go, or we could dial it down to 720p and still enjoy the 3D experience without needing glasses. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed that function, and it would be awesome if it were included again in a future HD portable gaming system.

In addition, the Switch 2's 3D capabilities and potential for attracting a sizable two-screen audience might set it apart from the several hybrid gaming PC gadgets that have recently been on the market. Of course, Nintendo games on their own will always be significant selling factors, but now that Nintendo isn't the only hybrid gaming device out there, they'll need to find a method to differentiate themselves, and we all know that it won't be by having the most powerful version of such a gadget.

What do you think? Is there too much "fanboying" going on here? I can understand where they're coming from, but I still believe at least some of this is possible and would really want to see it happen.

This is amazing creative garaphic ; gamer can enjoy this. at mars gaming we are finding for that type of graphics and gaming translation.

Latest blog entries

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back