6 Benefits of Playing Video Games Before Bed

video-games-before-bed.jpg

Many of us have been told that using electronic devices before bedtime can disrupt our sleep and negatively impact our health. However, recent research has unveiled an unexpected twist: playing video games before bed can actually have surprising benefits on our sleep quality and overall well-being. Before you tuck yourself in, consider the potential advantages of indulging in your favorite video game for a few minutes. It might just be the secret to a more restful night's sleep.

1. Stress Reduction and Relaxation​

Playing video games can serve as a therapeutic escape from the stresses and challenges of everyday life. Engaging in an immersive gaming experience can divert your mind from worries, allowing you to unwind and relax before bedtime. When your mind is focused on the virtual world, it becomes easier to let go of real-world stressors, paving the way for a calmer state of mind that can contribute to better sleep.

2. Melatonin Production​

Melatonin is a hormone that regulates our sleep-wake cycle. Studies have shown that exposure to blue light from screens can suppress melatonin production, making it harder to fall asleep. However, many modern video games offer a "night mode" that reduces blue light emissions, mitigating the impact on melatonin levels. Choosing games with this feature can be beneficial for your pre-sleep gaming sessions.

3. Enhanced Problem-Solving Skills​

Certain video games require critical thinking, problem-solving, and strategic planning. Engaging in these mental exercises can be stimulating and help to keep your mind sharp. However, it's essential to find a balance – playing highly competitive or adrenaline-pumping games before bed may have the opposite effect and lead to heightened alertness and difficulty falling asleep.

4. Sense of Achievement​

Accomplishing goals within a video game can trigger a sense of achievement and satisfaction. This emotional reward can positively influence your mood and self-esteem, providing a more positive mindset before sleep. A feeling of accomplishment can ease any lingering stress from the day, paving the way for a more peaceful night.

5. Social Connection​

For multiplayer or online games, engaging with friends or other players can create a sense of social connection, even in virtual environments. Social interactions can improve our emotional well-being, making us feel more supported and less isolated. However, be mindful of the time spent on social gaming before bed, as excessive engagement can disrupt sleep patterns.

6. Improved Hand-Eye Coordination​

Many video games demand precise hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. Consistent practice can lead to improved coordination and dexterity, which may carry over into other aspects of daily life. This enhanced coordination can lead to better physical performance in various activities and even improved sleep quality.

The Bottom Line​

While the idea of playing video games before bed might seem counterintuitive to traditional sleep advice, recent studies have shown that, when approached mindfully, it can have unexpected benefits. Engaging in relaxing, low-stress gaming sessions can serve as a healthy way to unwind, reduce stress, and foster a sense of achievement. However, moderation and awareness are key – excessive gaming or playing stimulating games before bed can still disrupt your sleep. The key lies in finding the right balance and selecting games that promote relaxation, social connection, and mental well-being. So, if you're a gamer, don't be afraid to level up your dreams by including a bit of gaming before bedtime. Sweet dreams and happy gaming!

The biggest impact playing video games have on me before going to bed is in stress relieving and body relaxation. It works like a charm and gets me into sleeping mode as quickly as possible. It's more like my sleeping therapy now.

This is quite interesting as whenever I was a kid, we were always told that playing before bad would be bad for us.

I still play video games now and more so before bed after I have completed work through the day and I also find that it helps me sleep rather than keeps me awake. I find if I don't play video games and seem more stressed and then sleep becomes more difficult.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back