Is PC gaming still a thing in 2020? | JoyFreak

Question Is PC gaming still a thing in 2020?

Thomasss

Okay, hear me out. I know PC gaming is still pretty large on Twitch streams, but is PC gaming huge outside of the streaming world? I've been wanting to get back into the gaming scene and my xBox One does the trick and it's also a lot cheaper than a nice gaming rig that's way more expensive. The more I look into it, I feel like more of the simulation games that I like are on PC, and the majority of the shooter/action games are on consoles. I suppose simulation games are easier to play on PC, but nonetheless, consoles are cheaper and can support similar specs to an expensive gaming PC. Are PC games still huge, or is everyone playing via console nowadays?

Paladin

JoyFreak Systems Model-101
I guess I'm slightly biased, since I have a gaming PC.
I think that PC gaming is still going on nowadays. There are people who choose to play games on PC, so I don't think that it will die out any time soon.
There are shooter/action games on consoles, but you could say the same for the PC as well.
Just my two cents.

Holden021

Microsoft itself killed PC gaming with their stupid Xbox. Additionally, Steam store is too weak to make PC the number one platform just like the good old days.

Nova

PC gaming is in fact getting more stronger. Not a lot of new gamers are going for console. Mostly the established gamers in past still purchase consoles and handhelds. Now a days people purchase PC for both work and the gaming. And there is more spends being done for that.

PC is a thing, I'm always hearing people talk about PC rigs or just wanting a good PC for fortnight or minecraft. PC might be a bit more active if MS would dump the Xbox for it.

ehmprah

"Through releasing its first-party games and other offerings from third-party developers and publishers, Steam generated 4.3 billion U.S. dollars in game sales in 2017. This marks a dramatic increase from the 1.5 billion U.S. dollars of revenue generated in 2014."

Nuff said.

Nova

i think with the cloud gaming release pc gaming wont be a thing anymore ...
Stadia dropped badly. And depending on browser for the games with all the graphic load wont be reasonable. So yeah PC still lives over consoles.

Holden021

I believe if Linux or Macintosh could challenge Windows in terms of gaming, the story would have been completely different. PC market would have overshadowed that of Japanese consoles. Consoles would be merely a niche for Japan market, nothing more.
Gabe Newell became a billionaire just because of this state of "no competition" in PC gaming. We have plenty of competition in console gaming, therefore a thriving business! Despite its many deficiencies compared to PC gaming.

Nova

Mac is definitely not going to challenge for gaming because gaming is mostly middle class driven not some upper class hobby. So the PC and the Linux has more chances than the Mac. The thing being the expenses are too much for mac for say RAM of 8GB could cost more with it.

MeowsePad

PC gaming is bigger now than it has ever been. People are realizing that it's better to get one powerful device that can do everything AND game better with more functionality rather than getting a junky device that can only play games at 30-60 FPS and still having to have a PC to do everything else. There's still a lot of propaganda out there, though, since releasing games on consoles is more profitable for publishers (not developers) and the hardware itself is more profitable to sell.

Nova

I don't care who's gonna challenge Windows, I just wanna see somebody do it!
Linux is useless when it comes to gaming and anything serious to do with PC. And with github owned by microsoft. Things have gone smooth for them. And they are more powerful with it. I don't think Windows based gaming would be lost not in next 5 years.

Malcolm

I guess I'm slightly biased, since I have a gaming PC.
I think that PC gaming is still going on nowadays. There are people who choose to play games on PC, so I don't think that it will die out any time soon.
There are shooter/action games on consoles, but you could say the same for the PC as well.
Just my two cents.
Agreed! PC gaming is still the master race! I game on PC all the time and still believe it’s a great platform to play on. I play the game Squad, it was really my first game back into PC gaming and I absolutely love it!

Juneberry

I currently only play video games on my PC. I don't have any of the new models of things and my house is kind of a disaster right now, so it's hard to get to my consoles like my Wii and PS3 to play them.

raphael

YES, there are millions of people all over the world who are playing games mainly on their PC. Most of them are Windows users while there are also many people who are playing games on Mac as well. I also play some games to relax myself during long working hours for few minutes on my Macbook. Since Mac isn't really made to play games so I was not sure about the best gaming controller and settings for a Macbook but then I looked at the internet and found this excellent guide on macinfo.us which always tend to have some kind of solution for every problem of mine regarding my Macbook.

Empire

It's getting bigger and more pupalor then other platforms. I have always been a PC gamer and you get more out of PCs then you would, meaning the graphics are so much better, and modding the game is far easy and more options. Plus easy for streamers to stream or do any other youtube content.

Not going to die more getting strong and growing faster

Ash

It would be interesting to see what the numbers are regarding to how many people play on console vs PC. PC gaming will always be popular but I think the majority of people will still prefer console gaming due to how easy it is to set up/game.

RedmondG

Actually I think with Microsoft making their game pass cross-saved across both platforms, PC gaming has increased. When I log into Xbox (PC or XBone) I can see half of my friends are playing on a Windows 10 edition game or If I join them in a game for Gears of War it's 50/50.

Lord Saru

I think gaming is now, all about consoles and mobile. Over the years, what will remain is compact consoles and mobiles because people are very concerned about portability and compactability.

Infact, I dont even own a PC now so I think I wont be turning to that anymore.

Nova

I think gaming is now, all about consoles and mobile.
Not true. PC has the most sales for games. Consoles and the mobiles have limited power on specs. So the PC is pretty dominant for the high spec games where the gamers use the AMD and NVIDIA rigs for their gaming. Which console and mobile gamers can not do that most of the time.

Microsoft itself killed PC gaming with their stupid Xbox. Additionally, Steam store is too weak to make PC the number one platform just like the good old days.
What are you talking about? There's never been a better time to be a PC gamer because of Microsoft's one windows thing that ensures that any Xbox exclusives are also automatically available on windows. If anything Microsoft killed the Xbox to promote the PC. On top of which unlike the seventh generation the eighth generation consoles are all essentially really locked down pcs (Switch aside), so porting from console to PCs have never been easier.

There is a reason most triple A games release on the PC, Xbox and PS3 simultaneously, and it's not because companies enjoy setting large piles of money on fire to cater to a small market.

Last edited:

MicroNort

Strange topic. Of course PC gaming is a thing. Anyone asking this question doesn't use a PC for games or has no interest in PC gaming. I only properly started gaming on the PC a few years back, before doing so played only on consoles. All of the genres people play on consoles are readily available on PC, all of the the multi-platform are on PC and the PC also has its own exclusives.

I normally buy games when they are a bit older and then become cheaper than the console versions. You also get many more free games on the PC with no subscription.

The real question should be why people don't dip a toe into PC gaming....

Nova

There is a reason most triple A games release on the PC, Xbox and PS3 simultaneously.
Not just that entire graphic card industry and the AMD depends on the PC gaming. I feel it funny when console users say that PC gaming is dead. I mean who wants to buy console separately and add more devices at home when single PC can do gaming and streaming and all other PC things.

MicroNort

Not just that entire graphic card industry and the AMD depends on the PC gaming. I feel it funny when console users say that PC gaming is dead. I mean who wants to buy console separately and add more devices at home when single PC can do gaming and streaming and all other PC things.
Console owners only say PC gaming is dead because they don't understand and probably never tried gaming on their PC.

Nova

Console owners only say PC gaming is dead because they don't understand and probably never tried gaming on their PC.
Yeah saying PC gaming is dead is like saying PC world is dead which is funny at it's best because they typed that comment from the PC. Consoles being expensive and useless for other computing, it is more likely to die just like how Sony PS Vita died and many other nintendo product died.

AzH

PC gaming is for serious gamers. Consoles are for hobbyists. As you say, most simulation/management/strategy games are released on PC. Flight sims and the like cannot realistically be played with a joypad. Likewise, trying to play an RTS on console without keyboard and mouse is tough.
PC gaming offers more mods, more customisation, more indie titles and games from smaller publishers. More retro games, cheaper games. Not everything is AAA. Some of the best games are not AAA.
Console gaming has its place. But PC gaming is the daddy.

MicroNort

PC gaming is for serious gamers. Consoles are for hobbyists. As you say, most simulation/management/strategy games are released on PC. Flight sims and the like cannot realistically be played with a joypad. Likewise, trying to play an RTS on console without keyboard and mouse is tough.
PC gaming offers more mods, more customisation, more indie titles and games from smaller publishers. More retro games, cheaper games. Not everything is AAA. Some of the best games are not AAA.
Console gaming has its place. But PC gaming is the daddy.
I disagree. PC gaming is not just for serious gamers. I play all of the normal PC games, don't touch simulations. My choice of whether to buy games on PC or PS4 normally comes down to price. I play all games with a controller and sometimes even play PC games connected to my TV (although rarely do that now I have a QHD monitor). PC gaming is for anyone although people don't seem to realise.

AzH

I disagree. PC gaming is not just for serious gamers.
Quite. It’s not ‘just’ for serious gamers and some serious gamers use consoles. We’re not talking extremes but generalisations.

PC gaming is for anyone although people don't seem to realise.
There are barriers to PC gaming. Some assumed rather than true. Price, complexity, compatibility, physical space.

MicroNort

Quite. It’s not ‘just’ for serious gamers and some serious gamers use consoles. We’re not talking extremes but generalisations.

There are barriers to PC gaming. Some assumed rather than true. Price, complexity, compatibility, physical space.
I think most of this is based on assumptions and misunderstanding. PCs are typically more expensive than consoles, but games on consoles are typically more expensive than on PC. Over the life of a console I would expect a console only owner would pay more than a PC owner for the hardware and software covering the same games.

As for size, yes, a PC does take more space but they aren't fridge or washing machine sizes! If someone really wanted a PC I'm sure they could make space. Space and cost is probably an excuse rather than a genuine reason.

Hasusan

for someone who was mainly a playstation gamer (AKA me):

- Playstation exclusives are less interesting to me as time goes on. (Also recent censorchip policy is annoying).
- OG PS4 got underpowerd very quickly into the generation.
- Xbox exclusives i can get day 1 on pc.
- Steam regional pricing is a game changer.

Nova

I have to agree considering PC gaming gives the gaming. Nobody uses console to design games. PC is used to design games so PC always comes first. Console is for just wasting the money. But overall I think the PC gaming may have it's own last run for few more years before they get merged like handhelds went to mobile.

Serata

I actually tried to swap to console gaming recently. Due to various life events, I had to abandon my expensive gaming rig. I bought an Xbox One X, and subscribed to the Xbox Game Pass. Ended up giving up and buying a $1000 laptop that's more powerful than the X.

Why? Options.

On PC, I can customize every game to my liking and play it exactly the way I want to play it. That, combined with a massive and insurmountable game catalogue dating back decades, is the reason why PC will never die. People want options, choice, and to be able to play their old favorite games, and they'll always pay a premium to do it.

FaceHugger

I disagree. PC gaming is not just for serious gamers. I play all of the normal PC games, don't touch simulations. My choice of whether to buy games on PC or PS4 normally comes down to price. I play all games with a controller and sometimes even play PC games connected to my TV (although rarely do that now I have a QHD monitor). PC gaming is for anyone although people don't seem to realise.
For me, it's the experience that determines console or PC for a particular game. When it's those third person adventure games set in a huge world I always go console. I like to play those on my couch, eight or nine feet away from my gigantic 4K TV, and just take it all in.

If I am playing any kind of first person game, strategy, traditional RPG, or some kind of competitive game (even if with a controller, like Bleeding Edge) I'll opt to play on my PC. My PC stays in my home office, I don't stream from it or anything. But I find being close to it, the mouse and keyboard for most the previously mentioned types of games, and close proximity to my monitor, improves those experiences. And it's not bad visually. While I don't have a 4K monitor I have a large 1440p one and hardware to push most games to their limits.

For me, it's the experience that determines console or PC for a particular game. When it's those third person adventure games set in a huge world I always go console. I like to play those on my couch, eight or nine feet away from my gigantic 4K TV, and just take it all in.

If I am playing any kind of first person game, strategy, traditional RPG, or some kind of competitive game (even if with a controller, like Bleeding Edge) I'll opt to play on my PC. My PC stays in my home office, I don't stream from it or anything. But I find being close to it, the mouse and keyboard for most the previously mentioned types of games, and close proximity to my monitor, improves those experiences. And it's not bad visually. While I don't have a 4K monitor I have a large 1440p one and hardware to push most games to their limits.
Yep, that sounds fine! And I’m gonna sound most likely like a broken record, as this has been said numerous times in such discussions, but you can also connect your PC to a TV and use a controller, if you really enjoy that couch experience.

AzH

assumptions and misunderstanding.
Yes. Quite. I decent gaming PC isn't too expensive when compared to the anticipated $500 pricetag for the PS5 and Xbox Series X. And, for me, you get much more for your money.

On the subject of size I mean PC gaming tends to require a desk, a chair, a space of it's own. Consoles get shoved under the TV.

Nova

I think the restrictions of consoles combined with the flexibility of PC is not only keeping PC alive, but making it grow.
Indeed. Consoles can't help you do the browsing and the internet usage the same way the PC can do. PC can also allow you to run games and create them. PCs simply can't be that shiny like the consoles unless you buy them that way. It is indeed making the PC industry grow.

AzH

Consoles are evolving. I’ve had - let me see if I can remember the order of these

Sega Megadrive
SNES
PlayStation 1 (this is when I started using PC for games too)
PS2
PS4

So not every and all but certainly several covering early options and next gen. Point to note: I haven’t played PS4 for two years. It’s sat in its box.

I bought my PS2 on 24th November 2000 for £299. A hefty sum 20 years ago. With it I also bought on first DVD - Gladiator starring Russell Crowe. A classic movie, one of my favourites.

My mind was blown. I could play DVD on a games console! DVD players were expensive back then.

My son has an Xbox One. He plays games and watches YouTube and Netflix. Games consoles are more and more becoming Entertainment systems. Xbox/PS both feature apps and more are released. Twenty years ago I didn’t need a DVD player as I had my PS2. Twenty years on my son doesn’t need a Blu-ray player, fire-stick, PC, because he can do most ‘entertainment activities’ on one machine.

However he cannot complete tasks such as computer-aided design, drafting and modeling, computation-intensive scientific and engineering calculations, image processing, architectural modeling, computer graphics for animation and motion picture visual effects, building and creating websites, writing books or explorings millions of AAA, retro or indie games titles.

He can’t upgrade to the latest tech. My PC is technologically superior in every way to his Xbox. When the PS5 and Xbox Series X launch at the end of 2020 they will already be technologically inferior to the best PC hardware.

PC will always be king because it can do everything a games console or ‘entertainment system’ can do - and more.

Nova

I think consoles are going backwards though considering PS 5 digital only edition shows you no longer have access to the DVD drive. And who knows in near future USB would lost too. And that way more anti hack or anti cheat games would be possible for them. So they may make hardware like that.

RedmondG

for someone who was mainly a playstation gamer (AKA me):

- Playstation exclusives are less interesting to me as time goes on. (Also recent censorchip policy is annoying).
- OG PS4 got underpowerd very quickly into the generation.
- Xbox exclusives i can get day 1 on pc.
- Steam regional pricing is a game changer.
I couldn't agree more.

AzH

who knows in near future USB would lost too.
I can't see that happening. USB connectivity is a fairly standard requirement these days and encourages usage. Want to plug in a mouse or keyboard? Any will do - and this encourages usage.

Nova

I can't see that happening. USB connectivity is a fairly standard requirement these days and encourages usage. Want to plug in a mouse or keyboard? Any will do - and this encourages usage.
I don't know man, who knows something wireless may come up. We never knew USB would come up in 90s did we? But it came and changed the game for all the devices. But yeah we have to just wait and see the innovation in the due process. I guess we will find it out.

AzH

Wireless is already a thing though. Most things for consoles can be connected wirelessly. USB is fairly ubiquitous. The PS1/PS2 had dedicated connections for wired controllers. PS3/PS4 moved to USB. Isn’t it the same with Xbox too?
Wireless with USB when you need to charge & play at the same time.

MicroNort

Wireless is already a thing though. Most things for consoles can be connected wirelessly. USB is fairly ubiquitous. The PS1/PS2 had dedicated connections for wired controllers. PS3/PS4 moved to USB. Isn’t it the same with Xbox too?
Wireless with USB when you need to charge & play at the same time.
We'd need a new PC standard for wireless though. All new mobos and bios would need to allow wireless connectivity otherwise you wouldn't be able to get into the bios before starting the OS.

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Already have an account? Log in here.

Register

Create an account. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Top Bottom