Question Is PC gaming still a thing in 2020?

Thomasss

Newcomer
Trophies
Okay, hear me out. I know PC gaming is still pretty large on Twitch streams, but is PC gaming huge outside of the streaming world? I've been wanting to get back into the gaming scene and my xBox One does the trick and it's also a lot cheaper than a nice gaming rig that's way more expensive. The more I look into it, I feel like more of the simulation games that I like are on PC, and the majority of the shooter/action games are on consoles. I suppose simulation games are easier to play on PC, but nonetheless, consoles are cheaper and can support similar specs to an expensive gaming PC. Are PC games still huge, or is everyone playing via console nowadays?

I guess I'm slightly biased, since I have a gaming PC.
I think that PC gaming is still going on nowadays. There are people who choose to play games on PC, so I don't think that it will die out any time soon.
There are shooter/action games on consoles, but you could say the same for the PC as well.
Just my two cents.

Microsoft itself killed PC gaming with their stupid Xbox. Additionally, Steam store is too weak to make PC the number one platform just like the good old days.

PC gaming is in fact getting more stronger. Not a lot of new gamers are going for console. Mostly the established gamers in past still purchase consoles and handhelds. Now a days people purchase PC for both work and the gaming. And there is more spends being done for that.

PC is a thing, I'm always hearing people talk about PC rigs or just wanting a good PC for fortnight or minecraft. PC might be a bit more active if MS would dump the Xbox for it.

"Through releasing its first-party games and other offerings from third-party developers and publishers, Steam generated 4.3 billion U.S. dollars in game sales in 2017. This marks a dramatic increase from the 1.5 billion U.S. dollars of revenue generated in 2014."

Nuff said.

i think with the cloud gaming release pc gaming wont be a thing anymore ...

i think with the cloud gaming release pc gaming wont be a thing anymore ...
Stadia dropped badly. And depending on browser for the games with all the graphic load wont be reasonable. So yeah PC still lives over consoles.

I believe if Linux or Macintosh could challenge Windows in terms of gaming, the story would have been completely different. PC market would have overshadowed that of Japanese consoles. Consoles would be merely a niche for Japan market, nothing more.
Gabe Newell became a billionaire just because of this state of "no competition" in PC gaming. We have plenty of competition in console gaming, therefore a thriving business! Despite its many deficiencies compared to PC gaming.

Mac is definitely not going to challenge for gaming because gaming is mostly middle class driven not some upper class hobby. So the PC and the Linux has more chances than the Mac. The thing being the expenses are too much for mac for say RAM of 8GB could cost more with it.

PC gaming is bigger now than it has ever been. People are realizing that it's better to get one powerful device that can do everything AND game better with more functionality rather than getting a junky device that can only play games at 30-60 FPS and still having to have a PC to do everything else. There's still a lot of propaganda out there, though, since releasing games on consoles is more profitable for publishers (not developers) and the hardware itself is more profitable to sell.

PC gaming is still a thing! I play PC games all the time and I know many who still do.

I don't care who's gonna challenge Windows, I just wanna see somebody do it!
Linux is useless when it comes to gaming and anything serious to do with PC. And with github owned by microsoft. Things have gone smooth for them. And they are more powerful with it. I don't think Windows based gaming would be lost not in next 5 years.

I guess I'm slightly biased, since I have a gaming PC.
I think that PC gaming is still going on nowadays. There are people who choose to play games on PC, so I don't think that it will die out any time soon.
There are shooter/action games on consoles, but you could say the same for the PC as well.
Just my two cents.
Agreed! PC gaming is still the master race! I game on PC all the time and still believe it’s a great platform to play on. I play the game Squad, it was really my first game back into PC gaming and I absolutely love it!

I currently only play video games on my PC. I don't have any of the new models of things and my house is kind of a disaster right now, so it's hard to get to my consoles like my Wii and PS3 to play them.

YES, there are millions of people all over the world who are playing games mainly on their PC. Most of them are Windows users while there are also many people who are playing games on Mac as well. I also play some games to relax myself during long working hours for few minutes on my Macbook. Since Mac isn't really made to play games so I was not sure about the best gaming controller and settings for a Macbook but then I looked at the internet and found this excellent guide on macinfo.us which always tend to have some kind of solution for every problem of mine regarding my Macbook.

It's getting bigger and more pupalor then other platforms. I have always been a PC gamer and you get more out of PCs then you would, meaning the graphics are so much better, and modding the game is far easy and more options. Plus easy for streamers to stream or do any other youtube content.

Not going to die more getting strong and growing faster

It would be interesting to see what the numbers are regarding to how many people play on console vs PC. PC gaming will always be popular but I think the majority of people will still prefer console gaming due to how easy it is to set up/game.

Actually I think with Microsoft making their game pass cross-saved across both platforms, PC gaming has increased. When I log into Xbox (PC or XBone) I can see half of my friends are playing on a Windows 10 edition game or If I join them in a game for Gears of War it's 50/50.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back