The Retro Gaming Community - From the Atari to the Wii, and in between and beyond!

The_Duckman

Trophies
3AyFhJf.png

Remember blasting aliens on a Galaga machine, jumping on turtles with a Nintendo console, raising hell on Doom with a 486 PC or tagging up Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas on your Playstation 2 ?

Then welcome to the retro thread! From the earliest incarnations of computer gaming on a 8 bit machine from the 70's, to the rise of 3D and well beyond, I'd like to invite all who have an interest in the realms of not-so-modern games to sit down, have a chat about your favorites, praise the best, scold the worst, cry about the unfair and laugh about the weird.

But please, don't be led to believe that there's a strict definition of what's retro and classic here. While of course you'd probably have a better time talking about Fortnite, The Last of Us 2 and all the recent games elsewhere, 2000's gaming can be considered just as classic as 90's and 80's gaming, and as the new decade is upon us, even early 2010's titles deserve a conversation here.

If you've been to Reddit's "Patient Gamers" community, and you find that type of conversation interesting, I'd love if you helped us bring it here as well!

Talk about what you're playing now, what you played earlier, what you love, what you hate, what you'd like to play, what you know about, if it's from roughly 1977 to 2013, let's hear it!

I'd like to start a conversation...about the Classic Medal of Honor games.

I have just finished the first one on PS1, Underground, and then Allied Assault and both its expansions: Spearhead and Breakthrough.
Man, the classic games was just such a ride, from start to end just endless fun. I never played it back in the day, but seeing just how much fun I had with it 22 year later, I can only imagine how groundbreaking it was back in 98.

Shame I can't say the same about Underground thought. Man, either that game aged terribly, I was a wimp or I just had a really bad toothache while playing it. The game just left an awful taste in my mouth with its confusing level design, repetitiveness and unfair difficulty. I imagine the team behind it tried to innovate and improve on the original (with larger levels, more gameplay elements and smarter enemy AI) but I just couldn't find it enjoyable at all.

Now I'm heading towards Allied Assault, for the first time in a solid 10 years. Wish me luck Comrades, because there's only one thing I remember well about that game, and that was F9: The quickload key.

My best friend and I had a lot of fun with the first PlayStation Medal of Honor. We laughed our heads off when an enemy soldier threw a grenade back at us and blew us up. That game taught me how to truly use a game pad for a shooter.

My first thought when I think retro is arcades. I loved a musty, dark old arcade as a kid - frugally using the $5 of quarters my dad could spare to stretch out over a few hours of fun. Music pumping. The owner maybe being a bit too handsy with the girls but I digress.

I've been wanting to build my own arcade cabinet but I don't own my home. Soon though. When it comes time I want to not only build a custom cabinet for Neo Geo games, but also get a few actual vintage cabinets as well.

I've been wanting to build my own arcade cabinet but I don't own my home. Soon though. When it comes time I want to not only build a custom cabinet for Neo Geo games, but also get a few actual vintage cabinets as well.

Hey man, did you take a look at the cabinets arcade1up & new wave toys sell? These might seem fit for a fan of the classics. I can't be too sure because I'm not really too familiar with the original arcade machines

Hey man, did you take a look at the cabinets arcade1up & new wave toys sell? These might seem fit for a fan of the classics. I can't be too sure because I'm not really too familiar with the original arcade machines

Thanks for the suggestions! Look good but I think I still need more room first.

I probably spend half of my game time every year playing PS2 JRPGs. And there's still like a dozen I want to play at some point, the PS2 library is overwhelmingly great. Currently I'm playing Shadow Hearts Covenant, which is a huge step up from the first game in the combat + art design departments.

I loved the GameCube. I think that has been my favorite console from Nintendo. There were so many games for the GameCube that I enjoyed and I wish they'd re-do them now on the Switch.

Currently on the verge of re-buying a Saturn and getting back into that era of Sega. Sure, Sega gets a lot of (warranted) flack for it's terrible handling of the Saturn and Dreamcast eras, but the games from this time are so great.

I'm talking the likes of Sega Rally, Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2, Outrun 2 etc. (to name just three from a whole heap) which had such perfected gameplay and pumping tunes (especially in the arcade) that are still so addictive to listen to today.

The days with AM2 churning out hit after hit.

But the one shared element that always brings me back is the way these games look. I don't mean the actual graphics, because we all know they haven't exactly aged gracefully. What I mean are the bright colours and blue skies that seemed to be in so many Sega games of this era. Teamed with the aforementioned upbeat music, these games just seem to exude joy and pure positivity.

Obviously, I have to acknowledge that arcades and other consoles (such as the PS1) had their own games with similar vibes, but I will always associate this kind of style with 90's Sega.

Anybody else know what I'm trying to get at here, or miss this era of Sega like I do?

I've been watching how lately the C64 has had some amazing conversions of Mario and Sonic, surely the ST might be capable of doing the same? Does it just take the right person in the right place with the right passion to do this kind of conversion? I realise the ST had Stario and Giana but they were a poor mans Mario with randomly generated levels etc. Never seen anything Sonic related. Is Atari Game Tools powerful enough for a fast platformer?

I do not fall into the retro gaming community as I started playing games only in 2016. Well, prior to that I did play games on mobile devices which included temple run, candy crush, etc. but I started playing minecraft in 2016 which marks the beginning of my gaming adventure.

I'd say I'm barely in the retro gaming demographic, since I got into gaming on Christmas of 2007 when my parents gave me a Wii, and I've been a ride or die Nintendo fan ever since. I had to kiss my Wii goodbye a few years back, but I did manage to shift all its data onto my Wii, although I'm not sure how well that console's working, since I haven't gotten the chance to hook it up due to moving multiple times in quick succession. Fortunately, a lot of Wii U ports exist on the Switch, and my New 2DS XL is still in good condition.

I've been playing Ratchet and clank up your arsenal community servers. You need to have a ps2, its still an active community

Was playing Metroid Fusion a bit. Gotta go back and finish it before I get on Dread.

I've been playing Ratchet and clank up your arsenal community servers. You need to have a ps2, its still an active community
To piggy back off this I have played Ratchet & Clank 3 a couple of times since I have a PS2 upstairs and it's remarkable how it holds up

I came from retro old days too and i just recently start replaying them starting with hocus pocus, wolfenstein 3d etc kinda relaxing from all these uncompleted bs from AAA publishers nowdays

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back