Palia, who else is hyped

• OP Deleted member 13009
  • Start date
  • Views 604
  • Replies 1
D

Deleted member 13009

Hi! I would like to share a bit of news about the upcoming MMO Palia that will soon be available to everyone.
It was announced that Palia was entering into it's closed Beta phase on August 2 2023 and it's Open Beta (open for everyone) on August 10 2023.

For those of you who are wondering what is Palia, It will be a new MMO based on socializing, resource gathering and house management.
It was announced that there would be NO PVP and no combat whatsoever at all. Instead, players will be guided in exploring the magnificent world for mysteries
while also collecting various resources and taking care of their own house. Here are the following skills that players will be able to train : Mining, Fishing, Woodcutting,
Hunting, gardening, cooking, bug catching and crafting (crafting home decors etc). Players will also have the ability to romance most of the NPCs through various quests or simply become friends with them. It was also announced that the game would be FREE. Thats right, the whole monetization will be done via Cosmetics ONLY. Having
a bigger wallet wont get you anywhere faster in this game.

I hope you are all hyped just like I am about this game and I hope to see you all ingame.

Beta Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=MAVeOxnPzhE

I gotta be honest, this sounds really dull.

We're all familiar with interactive narrative games (Life is Strange, Telltale games, visual novels, ect) that are all about storytelling and exploring, but I can't see the point in playing something like that as an MMO. Are players expected to group up, find separate notes and references to the narrative then bring them all together to get the full picture? I ask because that sounds really cumbersome compared to just doing so alone. Sorry, but I just don't see that working.

Then there's the lack of combat. Even without PVP, how would the staples of MMO's, such as skill, teamwork, coordination and stategy supposed to work in this? Yes, there's the resource management and crafting, but that happens in a lot of MMO's and only as a side to the core gamplay because those elements just can't carry a game like this on thier own. Our clan needs wood, so somebody cuts wood. Our clan needs fish, so somebody goes fishing. We need a window, so somebody makes a window. The corn harvest is ready, so somebody harvests it. See what I mean? it's just not a strong gamplay loop on its own and it doesn't test those staples of skill, teamwork, coordination and stategy in a compelling way. Not to mention that would get tedious and repetitive very quickly.

Lots of MMO's resource gathering, crafting and similar busywork as well as storytelling and exploring, but with a far more compelling and engaging gamplay. I appreciate that it's free-to-play and monotised in fair way, but I doupt this will be for me.

Latest content

Back