Discussion Is Devil May Cry anti-Christian?

Jump242

Newcomer
Trophies
Is it me or is the Devil May Cry franchise anti-Christian?

The DMC protagonist Nero is named after the real historical figure Nero who was notorious for persecuting and committing a massacre against Christians in the ancient Roman empire.

oh-please-tell-me.gif

The short answer is yes, it's just you.

However, there are a few points to make...

1. It's a video game, no more, no less
  2. The games itself started in development as Resident Evil game, but at some point Capcom realised that in terms of gameplay they were stepping a bit to far away from what Resident Evil was at the time, so just decided to make it a new IP instead. So you, see, even the people who made the game didn't read this far into it.
  3. It's a video game, no more, no less.
  4. It's fictional. Any similarities to anything real is coincidental. There's been many characters called "Nero" is various forms of fiction and they all have about as close as accusation to this historical figure as the next one, like these....
    Screenshot 2023-08-31 150622.png
    ....Yet, for some reason, you single this one example out. Unless you are also on a "One Piece" or "Danger Mouse" fan-forum selling the same stupid idea, and if you are I apologize for the assumption. The point is that it is ludicrous to draw such a conclusion about a fictional franchise based on nothing but the name of one of the characters.
    1. By the way, that reference is very, very vague as there were a lot Nero's in Roman history, including the entire Claudii Nerones family of gens Claudia on the male side. If you're going to refence history, try to be more specific in future.
  5. It's a video game, no more, no less
  6. And this the most important point of all. Nero didn't even appear in the series as a protagonist until Devil may Cry 4. It's almost as if you don't even know know the game your talking very well. If you want to people to take these stupid theories and attempts to villainise a perfectly innocent bit of fun even remotely seriously, know what your talking about. If you did know the games, you would literally know better and would not be making this stupid assumption in the first place.
  7. OK, that's actually the second most important point, the first one being IT'S A VIDEO GAME, NO MORE, NO LESS!!!

You remind of those idiots from way back when who where terrified that thier children were drinking goat's blood because they playing D&D with thier friends or listening to music that wasn't Billy Joel. It was stupid then, and it's even more stupid now. I know I should be more diplomatic about this, but I've been taking this same crap for 20 years just because I listen to metal and embrace geek culture. Nobody deserves to be vilified for that, so frankly this is pretty damb insulting .

If you want to practice your religion freely without prejudice and judgment please do so, I admire that dedication and more power to you for it, all we want from you is the right to do the same with our hobbies. Is that so much to ask?

Last edited:

The short answer is yes, it's just you.

However, there are a few points to make...

1. It's a video game, no more, no less
  2. The games itself started in development as Resident Evil game, but at some point Capcom realised that in terms of gameplay they were stepping a bit to far away from what Resident Evil was at the time, so just decided to make it a new IP instead. So you, see, even the people who made the game didn't read this far into it.
  3. It's a video game, no more, no less.
  4. It's fictional. Any similarities to anything real is coincidental. There's been many characters called "Nero" is various forms of fiction and they all have about as close as accusation to this historical figure as the next one, like these.... View attachment 4668....Yet, for some reason, you single this one example out. Unless you are also on a "One Piece" or "Danger Mouse" fan-forum selling the same stupid idea, and if you are I apologize for the assumption. The point is that it is ludicrous to draw such a conclusion about a fictional franchise based on nothing but the name of one of the characters.
    1. By the way, that reference is very, very vague as there were a lot Nero's in Roman history, including the entire Claudii Nerones family of gens Claudia on the male side. If you're going to refence history, try to be more specific in future.
  5. It's a video game, no more, no less
  6. And this the most important point of all. Nero didn't even appear in the series as a protagonist until Devil may Cry 4. It's almost as if you don't even know know the game your talking very well. If you want to people to take these stupid theories and attempts to villainise a perfectly innocent bit of fun even remotely seriously, know what your talking about. If you did know the games, you would literally know better and would not be making this stupid assumption in the first place.
  7. OK, that's actually the second most important point, the first one being IT'S A VIDEO GAME, NO MORE, NO LESS!!!

You remind of those idiots from way back when who where terrified that thier children were drinking goat's blood because they playing D&D with thier friends or listening to music that wasn't Billy Joel. It was stupid then, and it's even more stupid now. I know I should be more diplomatic about this, but I've been taking this same crap for 20 years just because I listen to metal and embrace geek culture. Nobody deserves to be vilified for that, so frankly this is pretty damb insulting .

If you want to practice your religion freely without prejudice and judgment please do so, I admire that dedication and more power to you for it, all we want from you is the right to do the same with our hobbies. Is that so much to ask?
Sir, I am not Christian. I am just curious.

Sir, I am not Christian. I am just curious.

Whether that's true or not it doesn't matter, the idea that Devil May Cry is anti-Christian because of the name of a single character, a character who didn't even join the franchise until the fourth game, is ridiculous, even if the character was named for the person you described. It's not better knowledge on my part, it's just common sense.

The thing is this isn't the first time you've tried to connect this game to some sort of Christian rhetoric. What was it the last time, Nero's weapon having some connection the Whore of Babylon? And that wasn't true, either. And there's these ramblings, a thread that reads like a tiring sermon with the same text repeated over and over with three random and irrelevant video games tied to it for no reason.

So it's not just Devil May Cry, whare you play as Demon Hunters, first a Half Demon named Dante then his Nephew named Nero, to fight against the underworld. It's also Doom whare whit a marine killing Demons on Mars and Darksiders, an RPG whare you play as Death, one of Four Horseman. With such a mix of both internally created and externally inspired mythologies and lores between these games, why are you so determined to tie these games so directly into some anti-Christian rhetoric? I find it very hard to believe anybody would this hard to to that out of mere curiosity. Besides, curiously inspires one to learn, not try to confirm thier own bias against facts that say otherwise.

So what are you doing, really?

And there's these ramblings, a thread that reads like a tiring sermon with the same text repeated over and over with three random and irrelevant video games tied to it for no reason.

Tiring sermon? Don't be aggressive to me as if I am a Christian. How did you exactly saw the post about the three Antichrist characters as me attempting to make those 3 video game franchises look anti-Christian?

Those 3 Antichrist characters are just 3 of my OCs that I created for fun.

The thing is this isn't the first time you've tried to connect this game to some sort of Christian rhetoric. What was it the last time, Nero's weapon having some connection the Whore of Babylon?

Now you are also including the post where I am simply asking out of fun whether the Biblical Whore of Babylon is the inspiration for the Red Queen's name?

So what if Devil May Cry has connections with Christianity? Do you just hate Christianity to the point that you don't want video games to have connections with Christianity?

Last edited:
How did you exactly saw the post about the three Antichrist characters as me attempting to make those 3 video game franchises look anti-Christian?

Buy you literally calling antichrist characters.

Those 3 Antichrist characters are just 3 of my OCs that I created for fun.

And you literally just did it again!

And no, this is not aggressive, so play that card, I'm just trying to get a more convincing and complete answer out of you to better my understanding of this, because right now I'm rather confused.

Now you are also including the post where I am simply asking out of fun whether the Biblical Whore of Babylon is the inspiration for the Red Queen's name?

So what if Devil May Cry has connections with Christianity? Do you just hate Christianity to the point that you don't video games to have connections with Christianity?

See, that's what an aggressive attack looks like!

No, I don't hate Christianity. I'm not religious and feel some of it's principles are archaic and not a fully suitable template for morals in modern world, but that's not hate. Besides, you're not a Christian, right? You said so yourself, so why would you care whare I stand?

I obviously don't mind religious themes, Christian or otherwise, in games either. One of my favourite couple of games in recent memory were the A Plague Tail games. Yes, its was a little dark, but they showed how religion as a positive thing can be twisted to suit a darker, more selfish means, always an interesting and potent message. The Last of Us kind of had the same thing going with the Seraphites as well, and that was a very strong part of that game as well.

I loved the character of Kate Marsh in Life is Strange as well, for example, another great series. Well, apart from Before the Storm, that was a bit crap.

Then there is fantasy. So many other fantasy games have thier own lore when it comes to religion and worship, such as Horizon: Zero Dawn/Forbidden West and The Elder Scrolls Franchise, Yes, I know that the religious lore is made up for thier worlds in those games, but they still mirror reality to make it resonate with real world people and thier real world experiences and it works.

So you see, there is nothing wrong with religious themes in games. I actually consider it a shame we don't see it, especially actually faiths in the real world, depicted more often. Maybe game developers find it more satisfying to creating something completely from scratch or there afraid of offending people so they shy away, but that's a whole other discussion.

As for this discussion, I'm not going to push this any further as I'm starting to see you're getting a little triggered (It doesn't make any sense that you are, but whatever). I'll part with simply advising you drop any notions that video games tie into any kind of anti-Christian rhetoric unless the literally do. Drop that notion and you'll be better for it.

Besides, you're not a Christian, right? You said so yourself, so why would you care whare I stand?

Just because I am not Christian doesn't mean that I can't be curious about a guy being aggressive towards Christianity for no reason. It's for the same reason that a forum user being aggressive to shinto follower for no reason makes me curious and amused.

Also, stop making the 3 Antichrist characters as my attempt to make those 3 video game franchises as anti-Christian! I told you that the 3 Antichrist characters are just OCs! You're being aggressive for no reason.

Just because I am not Christian doesn't mean that I can't be curious about a guy being aggressive towards Christianity for no reason. It's for the same reason that a forum user being aggressive to shinto follower for no reason makes me curious and amused.

Also, stop making the 3 Antichrist characters as my attempt to make those 3 video game franchises as anti-Christian! I told you that the 3 Antichrist characters are just OCs! You're being aggressive for no reason.

OK, I'll retract what I said about how I connected the anti-Christian rhetoric to those games through those OC's. I misunderstood that and I apologise.

However, I stand by what I said when I described your theory that DMC was anti-Christian (and you're not worming your way out of that, that is what you said) on the account of the name of a single character, who isn't even in most of games, as ludicrous.

I also stand by my tone. This is not aggression, it's debate, and if you can't handle having your views and idea's challenged and criticized, then don't express them. Especially on the internet. Not being rude isn't the same thing as kissing your ass.

Last edited:

Latest content

Back