- Dec 11, 2018
• Implementing an electronic strike zone to allow the plate umpire to maintain sufficient distance from the catcher and batter
• No mound visits from the catcher or pitching coach
• Seven-inning doubleheaders, which with an earlier-than-expected start date could allow baseball to come closer to a full 162-game season
• Regular use of on-field microphones by players, as an added bonus for TV viewers
• Sitting in the empty stands 6 feet apart -- the recommended social-distancing space -- instead of in a dugout
Sources: MLB, players eye May return in Arizona
Major League Baseball and its players are increasingly focused on a plan that could allow them to start the season as early as May in greater Phoenix and has the support of high-ranking federal public health officials, sources told ESPN.