Question Questions regarding PS4 on PS5 backwards compatibility

Vinícius

Trophies
I am desperate. My PS4 was stolen. It had all my PS Store bought games installed on. I cannot simply buy a new console and download the games again because the licenses are tied to the console the titles are installed on. I am lead to understand that this is not issue on PS5, that I can simply log in to my PSN account and download my PS4 titles through backwards compatibility without further complications or any additional financial expense. Is this information correct? If yes, is PS Plus subscription required? I am not PS Plus user.

Thank you.

As far as I know, your digital games are tied to your PSN account, not the console. If you buy a new PS4/5 then select the new console as you primary, and also change you PSN password, you should be OK.

As far as I know, your digital games are tied to your PSN account, not the console. If you buy a new PS4/5 then select the new console as you primary, and also change you PSN password, you should be OK.
That is correct. To a point. I would be able to simply buy a new PS4, log in to my PSN account and download the games to the new console without further complications. IF the games were not installed on the lost console. Since the games were installed, I would need to delete them from and perform account synchronization on the console to be able to download them to a new console.

I am lead to understand that none of this would be issue on PS5 since there is no PS5 device linked to my account yet. I would be able to simply log in to my account and download my PS4 titles through backwards compatibility without further complications. But I wish to be sure. I researched and read a lot about this, but am still uncertain. None of the support articles I have read are totally clear.

That is correct. To a point. I would be able to simply buy a new PS4, log in to my PSN account and download the games to the new console without further complications. IF the games were not installed on the lost console. Since the games were installed, I would need to delete them from and perform account synchronization on the console to be able to download them to a new console.

That's whare marking a console as you primary comes in. You may have to clear some of PSN's security measures to do so, but one you set the new console as a primary, that should be the end of the matter. I was able to start using my new PS4 after my old one broke even though I could set it back to factory or seperate it from my PSN account.

I am lead to understand that none of this would be issue on PS5 since there is no PS5 device linked to my account yet. I would be able to simply log in to my account and download my PS4 titles through backwards compatibility without further complications. But I wish to be sure. I researched and read a lot about this, but am still uncertain. None of the support articles I have read are totally clear.

I not sure if you're right about this on PS5 as I don't own one yet, but because your console was stolen and might not be secure, I would go through the motions to secure your PSN account anyway. I'm fairly sure you can secure your account and un-mark you stolen console as a primary online without the new console. Then, when you get your new console, just sign in, set it as your primary and you'll be ready to go.

Latest content

Back