Opinion You know what was terrible? Early cellphones

FaceHugger

Trophies
The simple interfaces. Having to look up people in a clumsy list. Trying to text using the basic numpad (even the Blackberry keypad wasn't pleasant to use (better, but not great).

I can't think of any common device still used that benefited more from a simple design change than cellphones: moving to touchscreens.

Those cellphones were whack af! I remember how poor the signals were back then. I’m glad we’ve moved on with the times, I wouldn’t know how to live without my mobile phone now.

The big box ones? Those were re god damn diculous lol

Post-war phones are bad, has anyone seen them like? lol

I like the car phones they are big and whatnot but at least back in the 80s they had them

d7883151b5d8a197ae9f977aa7229b14.jpg

Yeah those are the the ones hahah! I was also thinking like these:
9579877880_817fc447d4_z.jpg

Post-war phones are bad, has anyone seen them like? lol

I like the car phones they are big and whatnot but at least back in the 80s they had them

d7883151b5d8a197ae9f977aa7229b14.jpg
oh shit, those phones were bricks!

As someone who was born in the 2000's and grew up in the 2010's, I can't say I recall a time when modern phones didn't exist.
It makes me wonder what kind of technology people used back then. Sometimes, I'll google "old cellphones" and come across pictures that make me think, "Oh, so this is how cellphones used to look like twenty-ish years ago, interesting."

The only old phone that I can conceptualize is those Nokia phones with the key buttons you had to press multiple times to pick your letter. Was it like that back then? :p

As someone who was born in the 2000's and grew up in the 2010's, I can't say I recall a time when modern phones didn't exist.
It makes me wonder what kind of technology people used back then. Sometimes, I'll google "old cellphones" and come across pictures that make me think, "Oh, so this is how cellphones used to look like twenty-ish years ago, interesting."

The only old phone that I can conceptualize is those Nokia phones with the key buttons you had to press multiple times to pick your letter. Was it like that back then? :p

Oh, young man, you have no idea how good you had it :)

My first cell phone was some Motorola flip phone issued from work, back in like 2002. Imagine trying to make calls and text on a confusing calculator. It was sort of like that. Even though it was small, it was so heavy and solid you could do some serious damage to someone with it.

This was the first phone I purchased for myself, in 2003 or 2004, the Razr. It had an actual graphical interface, though extremely basic. All input was still done through the buttons. It was not very good, but I kept it all the way up until 2007 when my then girlfriend surprised me with an OG iPhone.

Let me tell you, using the iPhone when it was brand new was like flying into the future through a wire frame cityscape. Like putting on Iron Man's suit. It was such a technological leap beyond what I was accustomed to. It opened so many possibilities. And of course, it quickly grew addictive. All of the games and apps. All of the social media now in the palm of your hand, wherever you happened to be. It's been fun watching phones rapidly advance since then. Now I even have an Apple credit card in my phone. I can use my phone to manage subscriptions for streaming services and other things. It's really amazing how far we've come.

Oh, man, I remember the Razr. Those were the fancy phones some kids had, if memory serves! I was actually thinking back recently on using phones pre-smartphones and how texting became second nature with those buttons at the time. The skill is still buried up there, somewhere in my head, lying dormant, I think. Whenever I have the odd moment of needing to handle my gran’s phone, it feels like a long lost skill waking back up, lol.

oh shit, those phones were bricks!
IKR, and yet those days people love using them. People would get people to stop or pull there cars over to get them to use there phones that they had in them ;P

And they are heavy but did the job. At least the numbers are nice and big to look at without wearing sunglasses :p

You got super lucky when it came to both phones and internet haha.

IKR, and yet those days people love using them. People would get people to stop or pull there cars over to get them to use there phones that they had in them ;P

And they are heavy but did the job. At least the numbers are nice and big to look at without wearing sunglasses :p
we had no other choice thats why

My first was the Nokia 3210. When I upgraded to the 6210 and could store 200 messages it was the best thing ever. I’ve tried to keep up with mobile tech since. I have an iPhone XS Max 256gb now.

Honestly I kinda used to like the big chunky cell phones lol.

Yeah, but them old nokias could take a beating. Today's phones shatter if you breath on them too hard...

It's one of many reasons I'm still rocking an LG flip phone.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back