Xbox Series X release on track, but games could be delayed

phil-spencer.jpg

Xbox Series X is still on track for its holiday 2020 release, but Xbox head Phil Spencer warns that next-gen games may experience delays due to the COVID-19 crisis.

[Microsoft] teams are doing a really good job on keeping our hardware on track. I’d say that the bigger unknown is probably the game production, just being honest. Game production is a large-scale entertainment activity now; you have hundreds of people coming together building assets, working through creative.
~Spencer.

On the hardware side, we feel good about our plans and… there’s obviously some impact to schedules, but overall I think we’re in line with where we thought we would be. On the game production side… I still feel good about it, but I also need to make sure that the security and safety of the teams is the most important thing, and not unduly push when things just aren’t ready.
While we'll be getting more reveals related to next-gen games in the coming weeks, Halo Infinite and Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 will lead Xbox Game Studio’s launch efforts on the Xbox Series X. In terms of third-party games, Ubisoft recently confirmed that Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla will be available on the next-gen console in holiday 2020.

An Inside Xbox is scheduled for next week and will feature Xbox Series X gameplay.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back