Xbox now allows download and install of games without purchase

xbox-now-allows-download-and-install-of-games-without-purchase.jpg

Xbox will now allows download and install of games to a console without having to purchase the game beforehand.

Jerko Cilas of Lords of Gaming made the discovery while playing around with the new Xbox app, downloading and installing Assassin’s Creed Valhalla without purchase.

Cilas wrote:
Xbox has a new feature that allows you to download and install any game, even if you don’t own it. For example if you have ordered a [disc-based] version of the game you will be able to preload the game before your [disc] arrives. Meaning you can play the game the moment you insert the [disc].

This could also mean that players could install games while they’re deciding if they want to purchase or not. When the decision is made, the game’s already there.

We'll keep you updated as we learn more about the feature, which assumedly would work across both Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles.

It's an interesting approach, I wonder if they'll start using this as the new demo method, allowing gamers to download the full game, play a level or so, and if they decide they like it and want to purchase it, they don't then also have to download the game as it's already there? Will be interesting to see where they take this!

This might come in handy if someone was planning on buying a game the day it came out but needed to pre load it to their Xbox to save time. I can then see that this would be a good idea. In my personal opinion this can be great to get the game ready on the system before launch date.

Yet gotta be a limitation on how long you can play it or at least play the game then buy it. How that will work. A trail maybe. End of the day if you buy the game and do not like it and had less then two hours of game time then still get a refund back

This is great for those that pre-order physical copies of games as they can download it early. Would love this for PS5 as well

I don't see this lasting long, with all the hacking out there someone will figure a way to get the game without paying.

To be fair, Xbox and PS have been hack-free for a while now. I really doubt that anyone would be able to find a hack and get it working for the stores.

To be fair, Xbox and PS have been hack-free for a while now. I really doubt that anyone would be able to find a hack and get it working for the stores.

online use, yes. Offline, you can modify any console and do whatever you want, if you're smart enough.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back