Xbox head Phil Spencer says VR is more for Microsoft than Xbox

phil-spencer.jpg

Xbox head Phil Spencer has said that VR is more for Microsoft than Xbox in a recent interview with Gamertag Radio.

Spencer told Gamertag Radio:
I probably overstated. For the people who love VR and the experiences that are being built, no disrespect to any of the teams there. My main point was I wanted to be clear with our customers on where our focus was. If somebody was waiting for us to bring out a headset for Series X at launch, I was just trying to say, we’re not going to do that.
I had some issues with VR — it’s isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. We’re responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody’s asking for VR.
Adding VR to a gaming console isn’t as simple as just plugging a headset in, our most precious resource is the team and their ability, I just have to focus on the things we’re doing right now.
Spencer later concludes that VR is more tied to Windows than Xbox but will still continue to explore VR and its applications.

We’re never going to close our eyes to where things are going. I don’t hope it goes away. I hope it gets bigger, I hope it’s something that’s just so important that it’d be a no brainer for us to support it.
My main point wasn’t to shade anyone who’s working on VR or anything but really just about the stuff we’re focused on and that’s not part of the equation right now.
What do you think of Spencer’s comments?

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back