Xbox App may come to smart TVs in 2021, says Phil Spencer

xbox-app-smart-tv-phil-spencer.png

Xbox streaming app may come to smart TVs in 2021, Xbox head Phil Spencer has declared.

In an interview with TheVerge, Spencer said the dedicated TV app could provide a way for gamers to enjoy Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Cloud Streaming (or simply xCloud) on a TV without the need for a console or even a USB dongle.

Spencer said:
I think you’re going to see [an Xbox smart TV app] in the next twelve months. I don’t think anything is going to stop us from doing that. … What we used to call a TV was a CRT that’s just throwing an image on the back of a piece of glass that I’m looking at. Now, as you said, a TV is really more of a game console stuffed behind a screen that has an app platform and a Bluetooth stack and a streaming capability.

Is it really a TV anymore, or is it just the form and function of the devices that we used to have around our TV, consolidated into the one big screen that I’m looking at.

While no actual streaming delivery services have been announced, Microsoft has confirmed it's also exploring a USB dongle or a browser-based delivery service for xCloud delivery. At present the only way to use xCloud is through the Xbox Game Streaming app on Android.

I can see why they would do it, but I don't think it will pan out for them.

That would be a pretty cool thing for me to try out. Although the only games I would be interested in are Forza Horizon and Flight Sim

Hell I will pay for the USB Dongle. I don’t care. The idea of being able to do that is amazing. My full Xbox Library wherever I want. EPIC!

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back