Why we should all vote in national elections

JMuriukitano

Newcomer
Trophies
National elections and voting exercises have been taking place from time memorial. Some of us have done the exercise several times with high hopes that something new might materialize once the elected leaders come to office. Disappointment. The new leaders resort to mere politics and personal gain and the cry in the air is; “why did I waste my time and energy?” For this reason, most people shun the exercise simply because they feel nothing ever changes. But I think we should never lose hope. This is a constitutional right for every citizen. When we shy away from elections, it doesn't help either. Some of the reasons why we should vote are:
  • We are part and parcel of the system, whether we vote or not we reap the consequences
  • We participate to bring positive change either in our immediate or national arena
  • We can strain out those interested only on mere politics or personal gain
  • We indirectly make our voices heard

Besides, it was Franklin D. Roosevelt who once said; “Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country”.

National elections and voting exercises have been taking place from time memorial. Some of us have done the exercise several times with high hopes that something new might materialize once the elected leaders come to office. Disappointment. The new leaders resort to mere politics and personal gain and the cry in the air is; “why did I waste my time and energy?” For this reason, most people shun the exercise simply because they feel nothing ever changes. But I think we should never lose hope. This is a constitutional right for every citizen. When we shy away from elections, it doesn't help either. Some of the reasons why we should vote are:
  • We are part and parcel of the system, whether we vote or not we reap the consequences
  • We participate to bring positive change either in our immediate or national arena
  • We can strain out those interested only on mere politics or personal gain
  • We indirectly make our voices heard
Besides, it was Franklin D. Roosevelt who once said; “Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country”.

I have always voted in every election come rain, high wind or sunshine. My logic is simple: I vote because I want better services for myself and my posterity. While things do not always turn out as I wished and my preferred candidate does not always win, I have nothing to lose by voting. But if I do not vote, I have no right to complain when things go wrong.

If everyone voted there would be a drastic change in the way the system worked. Mainly because most people actually don't vote. More people vote in the actual presidential election then they do ordinary elections but if everyone one day got out and voted then in my opinion it would sway to one side drastically. I believe more people voted for Trump then any other election in history. Mainly because it was the first election where we had a woman run and also because people were tired of Obama and didn't want the Clintons back in the white house.

Here nothing comes for us in voting, both the parties are scams so waste of time and standing in Queu.
In my country only Congress or BJP can win for PM place so both are same when they rule it.

National Elections will make such a minuscule impact on your life, sure it is important, but local elections are what really brings upon change. Who's on your city counsel? Who's your mayor or local sheriff? These are the people who have the power to drastically alter your lives and change your city for the better, it's so much more important to get people out voting on local elections rather than deciding between two candidates bought by the same donor party.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back