Why are Nintendo Switch games very expensive?

Martin Berisford

Article Author
Trophies
I can only talk from first hand experience but after getting my Switch for Christmas I obviously wanted to go out and get some games so I could sit in comfort and get down with some Pokemon or Mario based madness. However, even looking at the prices for used games, they seem way out of proportion to used games on other systems like on the XBOX or PS4. Even my fiancee, who doesn't game that much - seems to think that the prices are a lot more than they are for other systems. I just don't really get why they are that expensive really.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that Nintendo know that other platforms aren't making similar games (Like Pokemon/Mario etc) and just charge the Earth cause it's almost like an exclusive property. What do you think? Or have I just been looking in the wrong stores. :)

I purchased Pokemon Shield yesterday and it cost me £55 from GAME. I don't think I could find it cheap anywhere else. But I agree with what you are saying, Switch games seem a little pricey but I can say it was definitely worth it. The quality is brilliant as well as the gameplay, which isn't accessible on another other platform, making it unique (and pricey for that reason).

I think the reason being switch is dedicated platform and requires specific developers. So it kind of adds on the development budget.

It's because it is Nintendo, hardly any 1st party Nintendo games are cheap, not even go cheap after years of being released. Though because it is Nintendo, you are paying for a good quality game, most of the time.

I purchased Pokemon Shield yesterday and it cost me £55 from GAME. I don't think I could find it cheap anywhere else. But I agree with what you are saying, Switch games seem a little pricey but I can say it was definitely worth it. The quality is brilliant as well as the gameplay, which isn't accessible on another other platform, making it unique (and pricey for that reason).

Yeah I got it for around that as well lol. It's what prompted this thread actually! To be fair though, I've played through Sword already and it's an amazing Pokemon game. Nothing will ever beat the retro Poke games for me but this was a damn good attempt. Playing on the Switch as well was a blast, such a better console platform for Pokemon in my opinion versus the DS and so on.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back