Question Which operating system do you use the most?

Which operating system do you use the most?

• MacOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linux - Redhat Distros

• Other?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Windows 10 since early 2014 :) and never stopped using it, then again not much choice on what to use since other windows oS is not supported and gaming you need to be on the updated OS. Like flight sim won't really work on windows 7 :( so 1o hype.

I'm used to 10 now anyway like I said been using it since 2014 LOL

I primarily use Windows, 10 prefer 7, I do use Linux at times and currently dabbing in it as we speak, I luckily never used windows 8,which I'm glad i didn't as the issues people said about it. then vista previously ugh...

Windows 10. I never used Windows 8 either and, to be honest, don't think I would have enjoyed it that much
Yeah I hear ya. Ran 7 for awhile then got the free upgrade to 10 so I was like "sure". hehe

I clearly remember running Windows 7, replacing that laptop, bringing it home getting it started and nearly puking on my screen because I thought they had replaced the "desktop" with the new start menu of Windows 8...

Thank god they never actually did, but it took me like 20 minutes to find where the desktop was LOL good times..

Windows 8 was a hell of a shock at first, but I used it and actually got used to it, so by the time 8.1 came out, I was fine with it. Then 10 came around and I upgraded to it, but Linux is preferable to any Windows OS, and as Bunker Hosting said, if you run Linux, it's not hard to run a Windows VM to still use those 'must have' Windows programs.

Windows 8.1 was alright but I didn't use it that long, My gaming laptop had windows 8.1 and soon after 10 was out for the public I upgraded right away. Windows 8.0 was a fail and so bad LOL

I like it a lot, sure beats the Samsung ROM that comes on the phone originally..

When you say all of your Windows stuff, what stuff do you mean? Also you could always run Linux (would recommend Ubuntu) and use either KVM or just virtual box. That way you can have all of your general use data on linux, while still being able to install a Windows virtual machine for any gaming, editing, or anything else you may need Windows for.

I still fire up a Windows virtual machine whenever I want to play steam games, but I generally nuke the VM whenever I am done. Call me paranoid :LOL:

things seem to freeze, drivers stop working for no reason. W10 is a hot mess, a continuous OS in beta.

Like most, Windows (10). I don't have any motivation to change because I don't see any good reason. Software on other OS is far more limited. Mac OS is probably Ok if you must have Apple hardware (although now they all have Intel inside, questionable how different the hardware is) but you still have less software options than Windows users. Linux seems more of something for hobbyists, again with more limited software options.

I'm currently on Windows 10 but have always been a Windows user. I find it easy to use and there's so much you can do. I've used other operating systems like Mac OS and Linux but find them slightly harder to use and since I've never been a frequent user, I've never really got the hang of it.

I'm currently on Windows 10 but have always been a Windows user. I find it easy to use and there's so much you can do. I've used other operating systems like Mac OS and Linux but find them slightly harder to use and since I've never been a frequent user, I've never really got the hang of it.
That's understandable, but given a bit of time actually using Linux, it comes very easily. Especially these days, where most distros are essentially on par with Windows in terms of features and doing everything within the GUI rather than command line. It's genuinely worth a shot for those looking for a change from Windows.

things seem to freeze, drivers stop working for no reason. W10 is a hot mess, a continuous OS in beta.
Could be your hardware. Failing motherboards or other hardware issues can make the OS unstable.

Your issue seems to be more related to hardware manufacturers drivers rather than Windows 10 itself. Though I have to agree, how Windows handles updates is TERRIBLE; especially if you are coming from the Linux world.

Like most, Windows (10). I don't have any motivation to change because I don't see any good reason. Software on other OS is far more limited. Mac OS is probably Ok if you must have Apple hardware (although now they all have Intel inside, questionable how different the hardware is) but you still have less software options than Windows users. Linux seems more of something for hobbyists, again with more limited software options.
I also must disagree with this, you can easily visualize MacOS without actual Apply Hardware (Apple frowns upon this, but it is no harder than spinning up a virtual machine of any other OS). Not to mention the Linux is by far more flexible than Windows is in terms of software. Once you get over the initial learning curve of Linux, you will begin to realize how powerful it really can become.

For the distance future I believe most people will continue to use Windows, but I think that this is slowly beginning to change. Yes you may still need to a run Windows for certain things, gaming being the biggest one I can think of. Just like many people will want MacOS for video editing, graphic design, etc.

I think the big change in the future will be many people using Linux to hold majority of there data (as it isn't being scrapped and sold to advertisers like nearly ALL of your data is on Windows or Mac) but people will become more accustom to running a virtual machine dedicated to the task they are doing. Example: I run Ubuntu as my main OS, but I use virtualization to create a Windows VM that is used strictly for Steam. This way all Microsoft sees is someone playing steam on a basic computer setup. The same for Mac, if I want to edit a video; I would just create a MacOS virtual machine, do all of my editing, export the video to my actual Linux system and upload.

This is the future I am hoping for at least..

Your issue seems to be more related to hardware manufacturers drivers rather than Windows 10 itself. Though I have to agree, how Windows handles updates is TERRIBLE; especially if you are coming from the Linux world.

I also must disagree with this, you can easily visualize MacOS without actual Apply Hardware (Apple frowns upon this, but it is no harder than spinning up a virtual machine of any other OS). Not to mention the Linux is by far more flexible than Windows is in terms of software. Once you get over the initial learning curve of Linux, you will begin to realize how powerful it really can become.

For the distance future I believe most people will continue to use Windows, but I think that this is slowly beginning to change. Yes you may still need to a run Windows for certain things, gaming being the biggest one I can think of. Just like many people will want MacOS for video editing, graphic design, etc.

I think the big change in the future will be many people using Linux to hold majority of there data (as it isn't being scrapped and sold to advertisers like nearly ALL of your data is on Windows or Mac) but people will become more accustom to running a virtual machine dedicated to the task they are doing. Example: I run Ubuntu as my main OS, but I use virtualization to create a Windows VM that is used strictly for Steam. This way all Microsoft sees is someone playing steam on a basic computer setup. The same for Mac, if I want to edit a video; I would just create a MacOS virtual machine, do all of my editing, export the video to my actual Linux system and upload.

This is the future I am hoping for at least..
Linux may be more flexible than Windows the OS, but what about software you can actually run on the OS? Linux will be far more limited unless it is able to emulate Windows 100% without performance loss.

A Linux future is a pipe dream. There have been plenty of Unix flavours in the past but have gained only a small market share due to applications that can be used on them and the fact that most corporations will want to stick with Windows as the safe option.

Linux may be more flexible than Windows the OS, but what about software you can actually run on the OS? Linux will be far more limited unless it is able to emulate Windows 100% without performance loss.

A Linux future is a pipe dream. There have been plenty of Unix flavours in the past but have gained only a small market share due to applications that can be used on them and the fact that most corporations will want to stick with Windows as the safe option.
Linux has plenty of software that can run perfectly fine, and most have feature parity with their Windows counterparts. Those that don't have Linux alternatives typically work with Wine or a VM, so to suggest the software game is lacking on Linux in any way is misinformed.

I use Windows 10. On my phone, I use Android. The problem is, if you have a VPN turned on, Google suspects you're a bot and does not let you complete the CAPTCHA thingy. That's so annoying.

When I use Google's search bar, I have to constantly disable it, then turn it back on. Even so, it can still be a nuisance.

I may just set up a different search engine now, being honest. Google also logs everything you browse.

Last edited:
Linux has plenty of software that can run perfectly fine, and most have feature parity with their Windows counterparts. Those that don't have Linux alternatives typically work with Wine or a VM, so to suggest the software game is lacking on Linux in any way is misinformed.
What would you run on the VM?

A Linux future is already here! Majority of the major services that run our internet are running Linux, not Windows. Not to mention, using something like KVM to virtualize windows or even using something like a Proxmox hypervisor you will only lose 1-3% of performance. Lets just say I highly doubt joyfreak is hosted on IIS ;) What a licensing nightmare Windows is....

I have been using Linux as my home operating system for nearly 4 years now and I have only ran into the problem of certain apps not working less than a handful of times and when this happens I was crafty enough to either use Wine like PGen98 suggested, or just cloning my Windows VM template.

I believe the biggest issue in this realm is that people have just accepted that Windows 10 is the easiest thing to use, but in reality haven't even tried other options. I hope this thread will get people more eager to hop on over to Linux, because once you actually get immersed, you will laugh that you ever actually enjoyed Windows :)

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back