What are the best open world games you've played?

Martin Berisford

Article Author
Trophies
I've been thinking lately about games that are modeled on real life places and whatnot, and it got me thinking about how Rockstar tend to develop their GTA games around actual cities like Venice Beach, Miami and all that. I had a look around just to see how the places look in real life versus within the GTA game and dang, some places don't half look amazingly similar. I love games like that because if I was to ever visit such places I have a feeling that I'd be able to just roll up out of whatever transport I was on and feel like I was actually in the game. Would be a brilliant feeling.

Anyway, do you think anyone can design open-world games better than Rockstar? Why do you think they can/can't?

Well, Rockstar were the first to pioneer open-world games (which explains why the open-world system was so good). However, to me, I think that some other companies can design better open-world games.

Ever since GTA 5, more and more games these days have been shifting to a slightly more open-world system (like Assassin's Creed, Mafia III and Saints Row), so I think that, eventually, someone will design an open-world game better than Rockstar.

Well, Rockstar were the first to pioneer open-world games (which explains why the open-world system was so good). However, to me, I think that some other companies can design better open-world games.

Ever since GTA 5, more and more games these days have been shifting to a slightly more open-world system (like Assassin's Creed, Mafia III and Saints Row), so I think that, eventually, someone will design an open-world game better than Rockstar.

To be fair I didn't even consider games like Assassin's Creed. I can only say from the Florence portion of the game but walking around Florence myself it did actually seem remarkably similar to how it was in the game. The Duomo for example in the middle of Florence was strikingly similar. It things like that that really amazes me because like I said, it just makes me feel like I am now part of the game lol.

I enjoy the open world in GTA and don't think anything comes close, due to the real lifelike experience you get from the game. I did enjoy playing Elder Scrolls Online, which felt as good. I've also heard Red Dead Redemption 2 was pretty decent for open world. I have yet to try that one.

Actual the amazing part... do you know that companies pay to have their building featured me those games?

I think No man's sky and Dreams developer has created pretty good world.

I think they all do a good job, but they all seem to fail at making a very large world, but just so much empty space to it.

Rockstar is the best at open-world games and I don't think anyone else can come close to them. I think I could come up with some good ideas for a GTA game but I could never make them as good as Rockstar does with GTA. I honestly cannot wait for the next GTA title especially since it will be on the PS5 and XBox Series X

GTA, RE, Final Fantasy. I think there are countless good games where the universe is worth exploring and also had good plot to extend.

GTA, RE, Final Fantasy. I think there are countless good games where the universe is worth exploring and also had good plot to extend

Just to add on to it, Red Dead Redemption + Red Dead Redemption 2. Both were great games in their own right.

RDR however got a lot of backlash from the SJW community. So not sure if they would let the next version to be non-lefty with content. God knows about that franchise.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back