What's with all the 'game addiction' threads?

phanuruch

I stumbled across several game addiction threads on this board. Is game addiction really a big problem? Or is someone trying to push a narrative?
It may or may not be a big problem depending on how you look at it. Lets consider something similar such as gambling. Its equally addictive but since its not much of a public problem such as cocaine, its assumed. That principle applies to gaming addiction. It would take long before you would even know that you or a friend is addicted. I mean, you are not stealing to go buy some illegal stuff or engaging in unsocial behavior as such. You are simply spending lots of time before a screen playing some game. Most people would look at it as harmless obsession. But, I hope you know there is nothing like harmless addiction.

Erika1358

i think it's an unavoidable topic in a gaming chat. Mostly everyone in this community are gamers, meaning they have insight, experience, and advi e foe game addiction. I believe it is a rampant issue nowadays, considering how everyone is enslaved by our gadgets one way or another.

OP
OP
LividJay

LividJay

i think it's an unavoidable topic in a gaming chat. Mostly everyone in this community are gamers, meaning they have insight, experience, and advi e foe game addiction. I believe it is a rampant issue nowadays, considering how everyone is enslaved by our gadgets one way or another.
maybe. I've just never seen people in any gaming forum bring it up. It almost seems unnatural to me.

A debate with a mixture of views. No right or wrong answers, it's something to discuss which isn't a problem. Everyone is entitled to their own view and opinion on the internet!

Gaming addication can be only if you make a problem. Self control is key and vital.

OP
OP
LividJay

LividJay

A debate with a mixture of views. No right or wrong answers, it's something to discuss which isn't a problem. Everyone is entitled to their own view and opinion on the internet!
I never said anything to the contrary. I just observed what seems like a small group of people coming in with an agenda.

Gaming addication can be only if you make a problem. Self control is key and vital.
And this is why. Where does this line fit in with the conversation of the thread?

Anyway, I'm not going to discuss it further. Was just curious if anyone else noticed and saw the same thing. I'll just update my ignore list.

TopSilver

Absolutely agree, and it's just not just limited to the 'game addiction' threads.. I have my suspicions about it all, but meh.
I don't see how it's off topic to conversation but funny how mothers try to keep their children away from video games giving them 1 or 2 hours a day. Anyways there's nothing wrong with the topic of game addiction and I only saw one thread myself however I see how older people tend to look at these things. Thinking it's an issue if someone plays too many games. But what can we do...

Kaynil

Maybe I am wrong but I think it is only an addiction if you are putting gaming on top of other things that are more important like not taking care of ourselves (showering, eating, sleeping properly) or letting it get in the way of other responsibilities like our work, homework and stuff like that.

I hadn't really thought about if it is something commonly brought up in gaming communities. I'd imagine that as gamers, we probably have a bigger tolerance before we start to worry about if we're addicted so that is why usually there are not as many topics in other communities, or maybe it is something that it is being brought up more openly only in recent years.

I don't necessarily think every person is using "addiction" correctly, since I've seen it thrown around.

I have noticed the media seems to be pushing this every time a new game becomes a craze. I've seen short news on Fortnite and Apex Legends where the main focus is interview mothers that are worried their kids are spending way too much time in those games and neglecting homework and stuff. So maybe stuff like that has contributed to being more in our minds recently.

It is an interesting observation.

Barida

For me, I don't think gaming addiction is a big problem in the world. What I always think of it is that parents are trying to keep their kids focused on life goals which makes it look as if gaming is something that ruins life.

I play lots of games, but it does not stop me from doing the things that I map out to do on a daily basis.

Nova

I think there are few guys who are making same threads all over the VGR and the Joyfreak. So they tend to have same subject title and even the question inside. It's reasonable to ask such question. But some members are just asking for the same of it.

marteebe

Article Author
Verified
I think there are few guys who are making same threads all over the VGR and the Joyfreak. So they tend to have same subject title and even the question inside. It's reasonable to ask such question. But some members are just asking for the same of it.
I mean I'm probably lobbed into your VGR/JoyFreak members who have done this in the past. I just happen to be a member at both forums (although I much prefer this one) and want to try my best to contribute here. Some topics will of course be the same between forums but I can't help but enjoy some healthy discourse anyway about the issue as it is a growing one I think anyway. Not a massive one, but certainly not one to be underestimated anyway.

Nova

Lot of good discussion are there. Not denying it but some threads are just rehash of the same made in the VGR. Which is not a good thing though. I am all for something new discussion.

Jayson

To be frank, gaming doesn't seem as bad as gambling, drugs - cause money or health isn't at stake. In fact, it seems kind of silly, lol.

Reactions: LividJay

Nova

I have seen people with gaming addiction gone to such extent they consumer alcohol, drugs and other stuff. And that has started since the gaming. I think that's pretty bad spiral to experience in life.

marteebe

Article Author
Verified
I'm almost 100% sure it's spam. Either way, I'm just adding anyone who starts game addiction threads to my ignore list.
Well it's a bit of a strong position considering I can't really see any threads being started around the direct issue of actually being addicted to games (vs just enjoying a particular game a fair bit) so I'm not even sure it's a large issue as it was back when you started this topic. I did look back in the posts and I am unsure why February seemed to be a hot month for those threads but its all chill now. You do you though man, I'm just wondering why you're so against a couple threads on gaming addiction? Literally curious like, not trying to be a lil' troll.

Considering I believe I started one I'm probably already on the ignore list though lol. :)