What's a fun but also a "wrong" way to play a video game?

Martin Berisford

Article Author
Trophies
For this one, I mean like playing a game in a manner that’s not intended. So playing games like Grand Theft Auto but being a good member of society as opposed to shooting everyone in sight just because. Just doesn’t make sense but I’m sure some people get a little kick out of playing a goodie in a game designed to be a baddie.

What about you? What games do you play ‘wrong’?

When I was a kid my Cousin and I used to play Grand Theft Auto and 007' Goldeneye and he would always make me laugh the things he would do. I wouldn't call that wrong because it was only to have a laugh but I have to admit sometimes it's funny to think about how some people play grand theft auto. I can see little 12 year olds influenced in the wrong way. It's quite a shame but even for adults it's just a funny way to play and nothing was ever intended for most people in a wrong way per say. It's really all how you look at it.

I think GTA and similar games can add a lot of bad habits and the tactics into the gaming. So it tends to make me wonder if the video games are worth it for fun. I mean beating the opponent and trying to loot type of stuff does not sound good.

In GTA V Online it's sure pretty funny to log in and take your Opressor MK II and just start to shoot at everyone you see but that is surely a toxic behavior. While it's fun for you, there are people who have spent a lot of time waiting for their businesses to produce stock and then sell it for money and if you destroy it you basically ruin their whole day or even more. Also, there are other people who just want to drive their cars casually in the city and it's bad when they see a rocket coming from the sky.

The GTA thing you mentioned is definitely one and one that I do from time to time when I get bored. It's not a bad game to just pretend to be a truck driver, bus driver or even just a police officer. It's not the worst thing to drive around following the traffic rules as well lol

The GTA thing you mentioned is definitely one and one that I do from time to time when I get bored. It's not a bad game to just pretend to be a truck driver, bus driver or even just a police officer. It's not the worst thing to drive around following the traffic rules as well lol
Certainly what I tend to do in GTA anyway. Like, I've played Flight Simulator before but hell if I know all the controls and set up required to actually just play the game as it is intended. I usually end up managing to power up the plane then crash it somewhere on the runway. At least on GTA, I can get myself one of those military jets in my hangar, hop in, power up and go for a ride in the skies. I like to pretend I'm a pilot and then I tend to turn myself into a stunt pilot doing barrel rolls around those skyscrapers haha.

I like following the traffic instructions in GTA or just walk around shoving people with drinks so they drop them. I am sure I get people watching me frustrated. In general most games where I am supposed to be abaddie, I will get a kick from trying to be a good citizen.

Then you have The Sims where you can help your sims or enslave them and torture them. I once had my sim make a pool party, but I think the game glitched because people kept swimming even when they were getting cold and tired. Death had quite a busy night, and my terrain became haunted. Hahaha.
Then you have people whooing with no playable characters like the grim reaper, a frigging scarecrow, etc.

In Jet Force Gemini, for the N64 there is a race of Koala like people you need to save from the evil invading alien ants, but you can also kill them and collect their heads. Considering they can be full families that is kind of grim.

I like following the traffic instructions in GTA or just walk around shoving people with drinks so they drop them. I am sure I get people watching me frustrated. In general most games where I am supposed to be abaddie, I will get a kick from trying to be a good citizen.
People play GTA to avoid following rules. It's like PURGE type thinking where you get to break the rules without any form of punishment. It all comes down to how you are having fun with it. If you follow rules then it becomes like any other game.

People play GTA to avoid following rules. It's like PURGE type thinking where you get to break the rules without any form of punishment. It all comes down to how you are having fun with it. If you follow rules then it becomes like any other game.

Then again, GTA is sometimes just an open-world sandbox. It does have Story Mode, but if you want to play it like a sandbox, you can. I agree with you in the fact that it depends on how you have fun with it.

Yeah kind of open world sandbox. The premise of not following the rules is kind of fun too. In fact many people benefited with that randomness. I think in fact many other game become more of hack and slash with the GTAs approach in the same.

When I was younger, I used to play Wii Sports a lot, especially bowling. My friend accidentally 'threw the ball backwards' (ie, she let go of the button way too soon) and we were so entertained watching the crowd react to the ball being thrown towards them, we just kept doing it. Not the right way to play, but fun anyway.

I still belive playing minecraft using a bass guitar must be the best. or super mario using a drum controller. it's awkward but doable. and it opens new possibillities in how gaming could be

Taking turns playing San Andreas with codes and see how long we could last against the police. :)

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back