What social media applications do you use? | JoyFreak

Discussion What social media applications do you use?

PGen98

I stay well clear of social media. I have accounts, and I check on them once a year or so for the annual birthday nonsense from family and friends, but I loathe a centralized internet where so much of the internet's traffic is dedicated to only a handful of services, and therefore do my best to stay away from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. I did sign up for Mastodon and Riot as alternatives, but I find I don't use those either. I just prefer forums and smaller communities, they're easier to get involved in and don't make your comments feel like white noise among a sea of voices.

Last edited:

Abizaga

Premium
I stay well clear of social media. I have accounts, and I check on them once a year or so for the annual birthday nonsense from family and friends, but I loathe a centralized internet where so much of the internet's traffic is dedicated to only a handful for services, and therefore do my best to stay away from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. I did sign up for Mastodon and Riot as alternatives, but I find I don't use those either. I just prefer forums and smaller communities, they're easier to get involved in and don't make your comments feel like white noise among a sea of voices.
I agree. Its part of why I despise sites like reddit. They monopolized basically every aspect of the net from chat to forums to blogs.

PGen98

I agree. Its part of why I despise sites like reddit. They monopolized basically every aspect of the net from chat to forums to blogs.
Exactly, Reddit tries to fill every void for every community or subject matter, and it's made itself a bit of a joke in the process. It's just pointless trying to interact in most parts of reddit because you're either going to run into a toxic environment where you get nothing but trolling idiotic responses, or you're going to post something and have it instantly disappear into the void of non-stop comments, as if you'd never bothered to say anything. Same can be said about Twitter and Facebook. Stick to the smaller communities, you'll find you can meet like-minded individuals and carry on a decent conversation with them rather than hoping to get some "up" votes and wondering what random people have said in response to your opinion.

Ash

I use Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Snapchat and Discord. I tend to most of my time on Twitter and Reddit

Abizaga

Premium
Exactly, Reddit tries to fill every void for every community or subject matter, and it's made itself a bit of a joke in the process. It's just pointless trying to interact in most parts of reddit because you're either going to run into a toxic environment where you get nothing but trolling idiotic responses, or you're going to post something and have it instantly disappear into the void of non-stop comments, as if you'd never bothered to say anything. Same can be said about Twitter and Facebook. Stick to the smaller communities, you'll find you can meet like-minded individuals and carry on a decent conversation with them rather than hoping to get some "up" votes and wondering what random people have said in response to your opinion.
What pisses me off is that now I heard "Why bother using a forum when we have reddit". Reddit ruined the forum. Tumblr ruined the blog. Youtube ruined videos.

Paladin

JoyFreak Systems Model-101
I use Twitter, Reddit, Discord, and Instagram. To be honest, I've stopped using Instagram for the most part due to the current world situation. After the 900th time I look at a surgical mask, it's not like it's photo-worthy.
Plus, being in quarantine means I can't take photos of anything. Except... my furniture? :ROFLMAO:
And my PS4?

PGen98

What pisses me off is that now I heard "Why bother using a forum when we have reddit". Reddit ruined the forum. Tumblr ruined the blog. Youtube ruined videos.
I'd argue that Facebook groups ruined forums, but Reddit certainly hasn't helped the case. As for YouTube, well...yeah, gone are the days of things like YTMND and ebaumsworld. A real shame, since those early sites sparked a lot of creativity and new ideas.

Abizaga

Premium
Yeah facebook groups are also a serious problem. It kinda hurts watching the old generation kinda die and get controlled.

Empire

Twitter for posting automatic feeds, Facebook I don't use that much and then Instagram all the time to look at things and post.

Discord, yes I use it like forever :p meaning it's always open. it opens up when windows are turned on. I always get PMs all the time. Who doesn't use it LOL before that was classic old Skype Or Teamspeak.

Abizaga

Premium
Twitter for posting automatic feeds, Facebook I don't use that much and then Instagram all the time to look at things and post.

Discord, yes I use it like forever :p meaning it's always open. it opens up when windows are turned on. I always get PMs all the time. Who doesn't use it LOL before that was classic old Skype Or Teamspeak.
Oh my god teamspeak. And before Discord we had Xfire. Who remembers that?!

Empire

Oh my god teamspeak. And before Discord we had Xfire. Who remembers that?!
SInce the day DIscord came out, Teamspeak is changing. They are catching up with the times and already have the beta testing out. Some say it looks the same as how discord looks but not for free.

Generally, I just use Facebook, but I've been getting back into Instagram and started with Discord recently. I like Discord because it reminds me of the chatroom days when that was a big thing. Plus, it's nice to have it connected to my forum as a secondary place for us to talk especially if we're all on and trying to plot for a roleplay.

Empire

I'm still kinda pissed they closed as they were the only thing that can keep twitch in check.
Yeah, but at the same time I don't see that. Mixer made a deal with Ninja and by doing that MIxer then can able to grow. They haven't done it for Ninja but for themselves. They would know that they going to have 100K if not 500K of new accounts. Mixer was very small before the Ninja guy came into it.

But turns out that they are not making that good amount.

iceyd

Facebook for keeping up with family.
Discord for close friends.
Instagram for photo sharing.
Twitter for game talk and news.

Still use Reddit for a lot of subs I follow.

FaceHugger

Discord for local groups, family and friends, and special interests. Occasionally for gaming.

Reddit for specific science news and cute pictures of animals, mostly. A few comedic subreddits.

Twitter for, honestly, when I'm on the can. It's all random depending upon who you follow and who follows you and I can only take about ten minutes of it at a time.

I use facebook for personal connections. I tried to get into twitter, but never really managed to. I use gab a bit, mostly because I met a few chill people there and it has groups, which I like much better than the twitter set up, and reddit for a small handful of subreddits, including vexillology and a couple of fandoms. Twitter, gab, and reddit are all cesspools though, TBH. I've also joined a few discord servers. Basically I have a small presence on a bunch of sites instead of a large presence on one.

I use Twitter to promote my blog. Other than that, I don't use any other social media for anything. I was on Facebook a few years back but I got rid of it because of too much drama.

I use Twitter to promote my blog. Other than that, I don't use any other social media for anything. I was on Facebook a few years back but I got rid of it because of too much drama.
Every social media website is too much drama except some smaller niche sites and discord servers. That's just the internet now. Nobody can just do their own thing and get along.

ZandraJoi

I am on a few groups on FB but my profile is barebones. People get lost in the shuffle. I prefer forums for posting as topics can be organized better.

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Already have an account? Log in here.

Register

Create an account. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Top Bottom