What are your thoughts on video game piracy?

Gopnik

Trophies
Almost every video game that is out there can be downloaded as "pirated" or "cracked" one. Of course, you don't need to pay anything for it but most of the times you lose any online or multiplayer features that the game has. It's illegal in most countries but countries mainly in the Eastern world have it legal. Anyway, what do you think about pirated video games?

To be honest, piracy is legal in my country and I have downloaded some video games for free, not that I support it but just because those were expensive for me. It's important to support the developers of the games as they have put a lot of work and spent a lot of money to make the game. So guys, don't pirate!

If it's legal in your country I don't see anything wrong with it because your following the law but around the U.S. where it's illegal I wouldn't ever do that. I always pay for my games as the risk just isn't worth the cause. Sometimes you take a risk and it might be worth it but in this circumstance it's not just worth the risk your taking. So many other things you could be doing then to risk something like that.

I'd never do that where it's illegal. I always pay for my games because the risk isn't worth it. Either you'll risk being sent to prison or if your lucky enough not to get caught, there could be a strong possibility that your PC will become infected with viruses, adware, malware, or even ransomware!

I'm not into gaming enough - where I'm so excited by them - that I would steal them! Well, anyway, for a moral POV - as others have probably stated, it's just despicable and evil. I mean, if you were the person working for the gaming company, you'd think like them! Do you see the hypocrisy?

It seems as though winners play fair but losers, as in they don't work at gaming companies, feel O.K. to take what they want. Anyway, that's not saying the rich aren't greedy sometimes, though. However, employees are often not rich - but actually it's besides the point!

I might crack a PC software or two for general use, but I wouldn't steal something of high value like a game. People worked years to make it, they deserve to get their money.

Piracy is bitter fact of the business. Almost every business and brand that does manufacturing faces this issue. And there is no way around it. Creating more pay walls is how many people escape the piracy. And more cloud gaming like stadia can help with fighting the piracy. I'd say that fighting piracy is a bit difficult if the stuff is open for public.

I might crack a PC software or two for general use, but I wouldn't steal something of high value like a game. People worked years to make it, they deserve to get their money.

It doesn't matter how hard they worked on it. If it's copyrighted, then it belongs to them. Nobody has a right to steal.

I've never really thought about it because as a console gamer, it's never really been much of a convenient option. I'm not sure if you can even pirate games for the console. I do think it's important to give back to the developers though for the work they have done.

I have a best friend who steals everything - as in I mean pirated movies, cracked games - you name it! In fact, Hollywood even mailed him, threatening to sue him! Now, his reasoning is that the people he steals from are rich. That's not an excuse! Well, one reason is because a lot of the people in a gaming company "work for a living". They're not what you'd classify as rich - even though they make tons more than my friend - who is on disability.

It doesn't matter how hard they worked on it. If it's copyrighted, then it belongs to them. Nobody has a right to steal.

I like to think of myself as robin hood, where I steal from companies that steal themselves. Case in point adobe, charging outrageous amounts of money for adobe stuff.

I agree that we have to give back to the developers. Like most of the developers seems to be having day and night schedule for the games. And they survive on the purchase of the games. But not all developers can do this though. It takes time for people to learn about value of others work. Piracy makes it harder to educate people on that.

It's illegal so you shouldn't do it.
I agree on this point but hear me out. You live in a country that the average salary is 250 euros, you make around 150 per month, would you spend 50 euros on a game or on food for a week or two?
Piracy usually vanishes together with poverty, as soon as I got a better job I bought all my games.

I agree that not all people can work around the pricing thing. But then again, there are other ways. Lot of free games out there too. And some also work on the donationware model. I'd say if you are into gaming and wish to take it as a profession or something where you make money. Then invest into the industry by paying for it.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back