Question What are your thoughts on cloud gaming and mobile gaming?

Imagine you owned something that you earned in your travels abroad like I dunno this Anubis statue.
1594085760-568-s-l1600.jpg

Now imagine you entrusted this statue to be held at a nearby store because you didn't have enough room for it in your house. You made the store owner promise you that you can come and visit it anytime you want and even hold it and take it to places from time to time if you so pleased but in return you had to pay the owner like X amount of month.

This is effectively what "cloud gaming" is and in this age where everything is digital and we gamers are losing the battle in having our collection of games in the physical realm. Not everyone wants to entrust a corporation with their hobby collection, me included.

As for "mobile gaming" it's pretty simple why it's shunned, the devices you game with on them are still not as good as gaming at home in a cozy room for a multitude of reasons. For me personally the most major issues these three:
First are the methods of how you play the games on mobile which can be summed into one word.. touch screen.
Have you ever tried to play a MMO or FPS game on a touch screen without having to resort to some special 'touch screen' version? or even with the special version and compared to how you'd normally play it? the touch screen is restrictive and not as fluid as a regular mouse/keyboard or even a controller, it's just a mess to play on unless it's some tile pattern game where it'll excel at because those types of games are perfect for it.​
Second the device itself tends to be too fragile.​
In recent years yeah companies like nintendo and some phone companies have been making their mobile devices more durable but not durable enough in my take. Like accidently dropping your switch off a cliff while climbing it is still gonna break it but drop a pair of keys and they'll be fine.​
Third is the screen glare you'll get while gaming on them outside, it's simply annoying to deal with while gaming. If your inside you never have to deal with screen glare unless your gaming room is effectively a outdoor one which for most gamers they are indoor rooms.​

Imagine you owned something that you earned in your travels abroad like I dunno this Anubis statue.
1594085760-568-s-l1600.jpg

Now imagine you entrusted this statue to be held at a nearby store because you didn't have enough room for it in your house. You made the store owner promise you that you can come and visit it anytime you want and even hold it and take it to places from time to time if you so pleased but in return you had to pay the owner like X amount of month.

This is effectively what "cloud gaming" is and in this age where everything is digital and we gamers are losing the battle in having our collection of games in the physical realm. Not everyone wants to entrust a corporation with their hobby collection, me included.

As for "mobile gaming" it's pretty simple why it's shunned, the devices you game with on them are still not as good as gaming at home in a cozy room for a multitude of reasons. For me personally the most major issues these three:
First are the methods of how you play the games on mobile which can be summed into one word.. touch screen.​
Have you ever tried to play a MMO or FPS game on a touch screen without having to resort to some special 'touch screen' version? or even with the special version and compared to how you'd normally play it? the touch screen is restrictive and not as fluid as a regular mouse/keyboard or even a controller, it's just a mess to play on unless it's some tile pattern game where it'll excel at because those types of games are perfect for it.​
Second the device itself tends to be too fragile.​
In recent years yeah companies like nintendo and some phone companies have been making their mobile devices more durable but not durable enough in my take. Like accidently dropping your switch off a cliff while climbing it is still gonna break it but drop a pair of keys and they'll be fine.​
Third is the screen glare you'll get while gaming on them outside, it's simply annoying to deal with while gaming. If your inside you never have to deal with screen glare unless your gaming room is effectively a outdoor one which for most gamers they are indoor rooms.​
To solve the problem of ownership is simple. Just get an entire cloud pc and pay a monthly fee for it. The service might just cover the costs of the electricity and you'll have full access to your encrypted content. If you buy a game, your game is simply ran on platforms like geforce now, if you don't like geforce now you can switch over to another cloud service or stay dormant keeping the game, the game that is bought by you is not associated with the cloud service, it's associated with platforms like steam and origin, and they lend that to the cloud service.

I don't care for mobile gaming, but cloud, if that's like streaming, is cool with me!

Is mobile gaming real gaming?
Are mobile gamers real gamers?
Right now, I'm playing door kickers in mobile, it's a premium game but you can get it free on the play pass free trial.

The vast majority of mobile games don't hold my attention for much longer than a week.. Even with multiplayer, it feels like once you've reached a certain level that further success is pretty much luck of the draw, and/or you've already seen all that the game has to offer.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back