Discussion What are your favourite survival games?

Izzy

Newcomer
Trophies
So lately, survivor and building games have been taking over my life. My 10-year-old step-daughter recently had her dad install Minecraft on the PS4. Now, my kids from a previous marriage have all played Minecraft for as long as I could remember and I swear I wouldn't play it. Then, my 6-year-old daughter comes to visit for the summer and discovers Minecraft on the PS4. She had me help her build the castle from Frozen II. I have been hooked ever since.

I am also really into 7 Days to Die which is a zombie survivor building game. In both games I prefer to build then play survivor mode. Every once in a while I do the building while in survival mode. How do you guys feel about survival/building combo games and what are some of your favorites?

I liked survival games in the beginning like Minecraft. However, the genre now seems to be focused on Highlander influenced survival games which seems a little more similar to the Battle Royale genre to me. I'm not a huge fan of these games.

I really, really don't understand the Minecraft hype lol. It's just never grew on me whenever I've tried it out but hey, that's life. Now survivor games like Left 4 Dead and that, they are my jam. I love having to survive the oncoming hoard of zombies but recently I've gotten into speedrunning it and trying to complete the levels in some madly fast time. I'm getting better, slowly! Seems like I need to try out the 7 days to die game you're mentioning though Izzy, sounds fun!

I really, really don't understand the Minecraft hype lol. It's just never grew on me whenever I've tried it out but hey, that's life. Now survivor games like Left 4 Dead and that, they are my jam. I love having to survive the oncoming hoard of zombies but recently I've gotten into speedrunning it and trying to complete the levels in some madly fast time. I'm getting better, slowly! Seems like I need to try out the 7 days to die game you're mentioning though Izzy, sounds fun!
Dude, it's super addictive. Like, crazy addictive. You can also load a server or create one rather that has no zombies or bloodmoons until you are ready for them to spawn if you just wanna focus on gathering and building prior to fighting off the hordes.

If I wanted to play a survival game as an absolute newcomer, what would people recommend?

What about Clock Tower or Haunting Ground? You're very limited to what you can do in those games. They're not like other survival horror games where you typically shoot everything in your path, because you feel more vulnerable to a nasty death when your only real options are to run and hide.

I have been playing The Walking Dead: Survivors for a few months. If you like zombies, survival, and the social aspect if surviving with others, this game is a good simulation.]

I can recommend Song of Horror, since it is a horror game where you hide rather than engage in combat.

I have to admit i love Minecraft, i use it to unwind listening to Spotify.

I also love the entire Resident Evil franchise, Silent Hill and even the Evil Within.

Spent way too many hours in Ark Survival Evolved also.

There aren't many survival games - I used to play Day Z, but now the servers are empty

I came across a teaser for a new horror game. Think it is called About Us, and it was just so brief. Not sure the exact title, but it seems rather good.

Been trying to look it up again.

I tried to play some of survival games several times, but I didn't like it. Perhaps I played the wrong games (This War of Mine, Valheim, Minecraft, ) and if someone can advise a really interesting game, then advise.

Escape from Tarkov. It has me jumping out of my chair frequently when I'm trying to live through the raids, and stuff suddenly starts going off around me. But oh, when I survive and get out with that juicy loot tho... no feeling like it :)

The long dark will knock your socks off But its not for everyone because its A true to its core survival game and the weak will never survive .

I think in horror games that are about trying to MAKE you survive, you shouldn't really have merchants, vendors, etc, selling you stuff, to make your journey easier. That defeats the purpose of the game being survival horror, somewhat. It's also a very stupid concept that I really wish RE4 hadn't even started. :p

Rust can be a good option. Everyone calls Rust a hybrid of DayZ and Minecraft, and this is partly true. Here, too, you need to survive, look for useful things, build shelters, extract resources, kill pigs and get ... chicken from them. The player appears completely naked, carrying a stone, bandages and a torch. Next comes the development to an ax, bow, pistol, machine gun, building a wooden or iron house around him.
The map is too small, it is difficult to build something original, because there are only square walls and floors. You can lose everything you have acquired in a couple of minutes if you are unlucky enough to meet a couple of people in black suits. I have not met the cheaters that most players complain about - probably lucky.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back