Video Games with LGBTQ+ Themes Illuminate the Industry

video-games-lgbt.jpeg

Video games have come a long way since their inception, evolving into a medium that allows for immersive storytelling and exploration of diverse themes. As society progresses towards greater acceptance and inclusion, the representation of LGBTQ+ themes in video games has grown significantly. Today, we delve into the world of gaming to explore a selection of titles that have embraced gay themes, promoting visibility and providing a platform for diverse experiences.

1. The Last of Us: Left Behind (2014)​

Developed by Naughty Dog, "The Last of Us: Left Behind" is an emotional expansion to the critically acclaimed game, "The Last of Us." It delves into the backstory of Ellie, one of the main characters, and her relationship with her best friend, Riley. The game delicately explores their blossoming romantic connection, offering players a poignant narrative that celebrates queer love in a post-apocalyptic world.

2. Life is Strange series (2015-present)​

The "Life is Strange" series, developed by Dontnod Entertainment and Deck Nine Games, introduces players to the lives of relatable characters facing extraordinary circumstances. The games embrace LGBTQ+ representation by featuring protagonists who navigate their sexual identities and relationships. The series thoughtfully tackles themes of love, self-discovery, and acceptance, making it a memorable experience for players of all backgrounds.

3. Gone Home (2013)​

"Gone Home," developed by Fullbright, is an interactive exploration game that unfolds a powerful and emotional narrative. Set in the mid-1990s, players assume the role of Kaitlin Greenbriar, who returns home to an empty house and must uncover the secrets her family has left behind. The game sensitively explores themes of coming out and acceptance through the story of Kaitlin's sister, Samantha, and her relationship with her girlfriend, Lonnie.

4. Dragon Age series (2009-present)​

The "Dragon Age" series, developed by BioWare, is renowned for its immersive fantasy worlds and deep character interactions. These games offer players the opportunity to engage in same-sex relationships, allowing for diverse romantic narratives to unfold. By normalizing LGBTQ+ relationships within the game's universe, BioWare has demonstrated a commitment to inclusivity and opened the doors for more representation in the genre.

5. Undertale (2015)​

"Undertale," an indie game developed by Toby Fox, captivated players with its unique storytelling and innovative gameplay mechanics. While the game itself doesn't explicitly focus on LGBTQ+ themes, it allows players to form deep connections with characters of various gender identities and sexual orientations. This inclusivity enables players to feel seen and accepted, even within a fantastical setting.

The Bottom Line​

The representation of LGBTQ+ themes in video games has become increasingly important in creating an inclusive and diverse gaming landscape. Titles like "The Last of Us: Left Behind," "Life is Strange," "Gone Home," "Dragon Age," and "Undertale" have been instrumental in showcasing queer characters, relationships, and narratives, allowing players to connect with these experiences on a personal level. As the gaming industry continues to evolve, we can hope for more games that explore LGBTQ+ themes, fostering a sense of belonging and acceptance for all players, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Days Gone should be on the list too, because of Rikki. ;)

Of course, I know every game cannot be included.

i dont like it

Seriously? That's all you're willing to contribute to this? On the deep and complex issue that has roots deep in the very complexities and sentience of our humanity, and the furthest you're to explain your point on this is "I don't like it". I'll give other bigots some credit, most of them at least have something to say on the issue. But the point YOU make, the defining, ultimate statement you have is you "don't like it". Nice insight.

Including characters on the LGBTQAI+ spectrum in a video game, like in any work of fiction, is a reflection of reality. That is something that happens in fiction to connect the story and characters to real world feelings and experiences. It's no different than straight romances as it's meant to connect with the desire, love and affections we seek in life. Straight people who are mature are able to relate to gay romances just as easily as straight romances because we can see it's a character loving another character. But you "don't like it", and that's all you have to say.

Yes, it's an unfortunate truth in that same reflection of reality of gay characters opens the door to social/political commentary that straight romances don't. I say that's unfortunate because LGBTQAI+ characters and themes shouldn't be a social/political aspect at all in a story. Its just innocent and perfectly peaceful people living their lives in a way that hurts nobody. However, seeing these characters in games is something that means so much to real LGBTQAI+ community because they've been living in prejudiced, bigoted society that has tried to convince them that they are in some way wrong just for having a capacity to love that those bigots clearly lack. Why does it matter to you, though? It's a safe bet that you're straight, so why do you even care enough to make even that lame complaint? Bu I'm clearly wrong, though, because you "don't like it", and that's all that matters.

Even if that's true, you clearly have a problem, and trust me it is YOUR problem, not anyone else's. Most people don't have an issue with LGBTQAI+ representation in video games because they're not threatened by it. I can put myself in the boots of a gay character and role with it because I'm secure in my heterosexuality. So answer this, why are you and these other bigots so afraid to do the same thing? So afraid that you don't even want other people to play these games? They call it homophobia for reason, it's built on fear. More specifically, the fear within the unknown, the not understood aspects of our own selves. But why delve that deep into yourself when all you need to say is "I don't like it", right?

Sorry mate, but you can't just hop on a thread discussing this kind of subject matter with that post and consider it a worthwhile contribution. If you want to be a rancid homophobe, the least you can do is put some effort into it.

Last edited:

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back