Is there a link between video games and violence?

Given the pervasiveness of video games in the mainstream consciousness, I don't think it's much of a surprise that a lot of the younger criminals have been exposed to it. But I also don't think there's any solid correlation between video game and violence. There's a whole slew of more probable causes for the resulting violence, in my opinion.

But it's also important to make sure that video games are played in moderation. Too much of anything is bound to have an overall negative effect.

Some years ago, in a trial, a judge once ruled in favour of gaming companies stating that games have no influence on people's behaviour. Today, this can't be furthest from the truth. Studies show that some videogames tend to increase anxiety levels and violent behaviour on most gamers. I wouldn't be taken aback by the fact that many criminals have gaming history.

I don't think those stats show any thing unusual because of course if a person lives in this society now than 99% he had experiences with gaming or still does game, it's like saying every criminal that committed a crime in the last 5 years have a social media account or watch Netflix, it's almost inevitable, as I've mentioned in a similar post, if a person is missed up 'up there' then playing monopoly is just as bad.

It's nonsense really. Just because a particular person does something like gaming does not mean that it resulted in them committing violence. Consider how many gamers there are around the world that have been playing games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto or even Battlefield. If video games really did cause violence, would it not be a global problem? But no, we only have crazy lunatics committing crime from time to time and the majority of the time, they aren't regular gamers.

No.

Video games and violence are two distinct things. However, as the community of players accepted this merger well, it has become banal and therefore has been (and continues to be) increasingly exploited in games with an increasingly realistic degree of violence.

It looks like more violence = more money.

Watching too much violence without so much of a guidance is a problem not just with video games. It is what we call mind conditioning. We have a lot of researches already in the world and it seems hard because while others claim that violent games is not directly related to perpetuation of crimes, some claim otherwise. It seems to me that we can never point it out by using research information, end point of the game is that it depends as to the circumstances an individual is in on whether to commit violence or not.

I hardly doubt it. The violence of a person and individual himself sturs within him. Videogame cant be the reason for violence.

Only to people who can not separate their gaming world and real world. But I feel like that's only a small percentage compared to those who knows that playing a video game is just a form of recreation.

I don't know, but I think it's the lack of guidance. There are kids who play video games in moderation because of their parents or guardians, and I guess that's really helpful. The video games may upset a gamer, but it is not entirely the reason why kids become violent.

Video games can influence the way a person thinks, especially since children nowadays are exposed to video ganes at very young ages without guidance. Often, parents leave the children with gadgets and allows them to play violent games without any monitoring. This could lead to children developing wrong ideas that it's okay to hurt people because there are no real consequences in doing so.

I would assume it would matter what kind of games they were playing, and how often. If they had a lot of exposure to the violent games, and were obsessive about it, they could allow that to affect their perception of reality.

I decline this statement. I've been playing videogames my entire life and never been unreasonably violent. My other friends were, and they never touched a game.

Video games don't make people violent in real life, if a person is violent then it is their mentality one should look to, not video games.

Most of the people think that violence through game is not going to have impact on kids. And they seem to be forgetting that part as well. I guess we have to learn that having such type of the violence and the video game in the hands of the kids is definitely something wrong from what I have seen so far.

Most of the people think that violence through game is not going to have impact on kids. And they seem to be forgetting that part as well. I guess we have to learn that having such type of the violence and the video game in the hands of the kids is definitely something wrong from what I have seen so far.
Yeah, really how come rarely anyone points the finger toward the parents? It is their responsibility to teach their kids right from wrong and fiction from reality.

Yes parents do teach things like that. But kids can be adamant on how they prefer the games over parents. So it is necessary to consider that gaming or any form of addiction is going to have pretty effective approach on the same. I personally found out that video games do have effects on the mind of the person.

I don't think that violence in video games and that one in real life is connected in any way. Personally, I don't feel like shooting enemies in CS:GO and after that go out and do it for real. No, that is not how things work. If a person become too violent because of the games he play it's just the person himself. Maybe has got some problems, God knows what ones. But in my opinion these 2 aren't connected.

Most of the gamers start to have the superiority complex once they start playing the games and winning it. Because gaming does not make anyone intelligent they tend to avoid social and the relationship stuff. I guess it'd be pretty bad on the psychological side for the gamers to ignore the side effects of gaming.

It will definitely improve some of your skills because you need certain skills to be good at a game. Hand-eye coordination is definitely one of the things that will improve when you game a lot.

Gaming has improved the way that I think and react to situations. There are times where challenges will be high, but when u recall how I surpass those kinda of challenges in games, it gives me belief. I understand that people can talk about how addictive that gaming can be, but the truth is that once you have self control, you will be able to overcome in those kind of situations.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back