Advantages and disadvantages of using a VPN whilst gaming

Alexander.

Trophies
Virtual Private Network is short for (VPN). You may be familiar with this term or be using it as a gamer.

Today, I'm Interested to know what the main disadvantages and benefits are of using a VPN whilst gaming.

Should I install this type of connection for gaming? Why or why not?

Usually you need really fast connection for VPN to respond back quickly. Because if you are on slow net, then VPN would be even slower for you. And then gaming becomes even more or less slow. It all depends on how the VPN connection may turn out on many small things.

I'll be honest, I haven't really read the article in detail - but it argues against what I was going to write concerning lag.. Seems that if you know what you're doing, using a VPN for gaming could potentially reduce lag.

I'll be honest, I haven't really read the article in detail - but it argues against what I was going to write concerning lag.. Seems that if you know what you're doing, using a VPN for gaming could potentially reduce lag.

I also believe it could reduce lag just by the sheer idea of your network having that mask over it. Incoming/Outgoing connections would all be filtered. This could lead to a reduced latency on your game. Mostly because any other connections you have would not be present for the most part as far as I am aware.

VPN can help you get cheaper games by changing your location to Russia and changing the store's currency. Not sure if it works on consoles but it definitely works on PC. Although, you risk getting your Steam account banned but I don't think there is really a big chance for that to happen.

There are deals going on in the Slashstack commerce. Where you get the VPN for life in 30$ onwards for the 5 years. So that seems like a good offers for those who want to make use of the VPN.

If your country is banned or mybe your school or college had banned the game. There is one thing if you want to hide yourself from anyone then use VPN else use your own internet connection without risking your account. Try to use Static IP that gives you to access freely else have to face some problems hile logging.

sounds useless to use for gaming unless you want to go after another country's content, but even then seems a lot of hassle.

sounds useless to use for gaming unless you want to go after another country's content, but even then seems a lot of hassle.
It can be useful in context for the chinese hackers and gamers who are often auto banned by the servers from others countries. I am sure they must be using it on many games where chinese gamers are banned.

For me, I use a VPN for work purposes and generally it's always turned on when it comes to my computer so I'm always gaming with it on as well. Apart from maybe knocking me into another regions servers every now and then I haven't really noticed any difference with respect to my actual gaming. When I'm off the VPN it is faster in terms of my internet speed but nothing serious really.

Yes for me too it's mostly related to the work. Where we often check out the websites when they are down and if they are available in different geographic region. For gamers mostly it's to test out the servers in another region. It works out for them using the VPN.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back