Ubisoft sues website it says facilitated DDoS attacks against the Rainbow Six Siege servers

rainbow_six_siege_shifting_tides_kali_keyart_1.jpg

Ubisoft has begun legal proceedings against a website that says it was an instrumental part of a series of DDoS (Denial-of-service) attacks that recently took down the Rainbow Six: Siege servers.

As reported by Polygon, the website cited in the paperwork offers tiered service plans to customers so they may “test their services” and website security. However, Ubisoft says it has obtained a screenshot that evidences that no only are its servers reportedly at risk, but those of “Fortnite, FIFA 20, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 [are] potential targets”, too.


As a consequence of this, Ubisoft are now seeking damages, legal fees and are requesting that the court takes action to shut down the website concerned. The lawsuit was filed in California last week and cites a number of defendants and their known aliases. In it, they also accuse the site owner of being “well aware of the harm” their services cause and says that the “defendants have gone out of their way to taunt and attempt to embarrass Ubisoft for the damage its services have caused to [Rainbow Six Siege]”.

“In order to maintain Ubisoft’s strong community of dedicated R6S players, Ubisoft has invested considerable time, money, and effort into ensuring that all of its players have a positive, fun, and rewarding experience each time they play R6S,” Ubisoft’s lawyers say. “By this lawsuit, Ubisoft seeks to stop an unscrupulous commercial group of hackers and profiteers dedicated to harming Ubisoft’s games and destroying the R6S player experience for their own personal financial benefit.”

“Defendants are members of a business enterprise that provides its customers with subscription-based access to software and other online services designed to enable their customers to perpetrate targeted denial-of-service and distributed denial-of-service attacks (the “DDoS Attacks”) on the computer servers that enable R6S players to play and compete in the game,” it continues. “Defendants have offered the DDoS Services through various domain names, websites, and anonymous online aliases [and t]he DDoS Attacks that Defendants enable and facilitate are designed to disrupt and impede the functioning of the R6S servers, often disconnecting all of the players playing R6S on the targeted server.

“And even when the DDoS Attacks do not completely destroy existing matches, they can, and regularly do, impede the normal operation of the game, including by causing severe degradation of the game experience for legitimate players,” it adds.
 

Paladin

Hack The Planet!
Member
Oct 21, 2019
470
253
107
I'm actually glad that Ubisoft did this. It's just not fair for players to be kicked out of the game by DDoS attacks. This also proves that Ubisoft cares about the community somewhat, if they sue a site which is DDoS'ing their servers.
 

PGen98

Moderator
Jan 16, 2020
400
195
636
Agreed, it's a needed step to go after services like this. There are legitimate penetration testing services out there, this is just a glorified botnet. Good on Ubisoft for taking the step to go after them.
 
Top