Trudeau: Politicians shouldn't be 'opining' on COVID-19 health recommendations

Maddox

Trophies
OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said politicians shouldn’t be offering key medical directives, referring specifically to whether Canadians should be wearing face masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Trudeau told reporters on Monday he’s "not going to make health recommendations to people," because "I don’t think politicians should be opining on health solutions or fixes."

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has published new findings stating that wearing a facial covering could prevent the spread of the virus among those who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic. When asked whether Canada would make similar recommendations, Trudeau said he defers to public health authorities for these kinds of solutions.

"I encourage people to continue to listen to Dr. Theresa Tam, and to health experts and professionals on how best we can keep ourselves safe," said Trudeau, referring to Canada’s chief public health officer.

Many have criticized U.S. President Donald Trump for offering his own opinions on the use of face masks and not following guidelines outlined by the CDC.

"Wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens – I don’t know, I don’t see it for myself," said Trump at a press conference last week.

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who tested positive for COVID-19 and has since been hospitalized, has also come under fire for not supporting rules set out by health authorities, including social distancing restrictions. A few weeks ago during a press conference, he said he was continuing to shake hands with people.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back