Tormentis Dungeon ARPG - an indie game in development

zodiac2k

Newcomer
Trophies
Hi all, I would like to share my new project here I started a few month ago. Tormentis will be a fantasy dungeon ARPG where players have to build and furnish their own dungeon as challenging as possible and play other player's dungeons.

joyfreak_tormentis.jpg

I'm really very interested in how the planned game concept appeals to you.
Would it be something that you would play?
Do you have any features or comments that are important to you?

I made short video dev logs where you can see the whole process from how it starts to the current state:

More information can be found on our homepage (Tormentis - Tormentis - Dungeon ARPG) and our discord server (Join the Tormentis Dungeon ARPG Discord Server!).

I look forward to your comments and remarks.

For all interested the new Devlog #15 shows the first elite and boss monsters and two larger rooms with proper dungeon interior.

During the last days I've set up the Steam page as well. There you find addition information and screenshots of the game.

Lots of things have been done since my last post. We've had some halloween dancing monsters in the dungeon and lots of UI improvements. During the last two weeks I focused on the hero UI containing stats and traits, skills and complete inventory system.

As Tormentis will have a class-free system, the available skills are determined by the worn weapon and shield. In the video you see the selection for one-handed strength-based melee weapons. It would be different when wearing e.g. wands, two-handed staffs or ranged weapons.

I'd be very happy to receive feedback on the layout. Is it intuitive or are there things which are not clear?

I like it. It's a clean and simple design, easy on the eyes. Great job!

Thanks for your feedback Aries.

After finishing the hero UI last week it was time to continue working on gameplay. The scene lighting has been completely reworked and shadows from light sources are shown now as expected. In addition I've implemented a new animation system which easily supports different movement and skill animations based on hero equipment.

Next week I'll start adding effects to skills and attacks :)

It's my 23rd dev log on Tormentis and the gameplay gets more and more polished. I worked on three big topics during the last days: visual depth, animations and weapon effects.

Visual Depth
I added depth to the environment that rooms look like platforms on high pillars on misty rocks. It doesn't look like a flat dungeon anymore. A friend commented on the first attempts as "like in Moria!" Yeah, I'm really happy with the result :)

Animations
The hero animation has already improved and the beeing hit animation is now smoothly integrated into the regular animation flow.

Weapon Effects
The first weapon effects have been added. In the video you can see the glowing two-handed mace. I am still working on trails when performing certain skills... probably next week ;-)

I totally missed posting an update here last week... lots of things happened during the last two weeks. The first hero skills are working now and I've implemented the first five monsters. Camera rotation has been added as well to give players the ability to lookout for traps and unexpected danger.

The monsters:
Skeleton Warrior - classic melee eney
Skeleton Archer - shoot cold damage arrows
Skeleton Mage - shoot small fire balls
Skeleton Commander (Elite) - heavy melee damage / fire breath (skill)
Undead Knight (Boss) - heavy melee damage / lightning fury (skill) / + ? (ultimate)

After great feedback from the first testers I've redesigned the dungeon editor to provide better usability. A new camera system has been added, supporting different view modes (from above and perspective), zoom, 4-step rotation. In the new UI you can interact with all objects (rooms, monsters, traps, furnishings) without having to switch menus first. On the other hand, the movement of objects has been secured, so that no changes to the dungeon happen accidentally.

The object placement system has been completely revised showing the area each object (monster, trap, furnishing) needs. Objects are now connected to the rooms. When moving a room all objects inside will move as well. The room and dungeon capacity system is working now. Monsters and traps will have capacity points describing their danger. There will be a maximum capacity on the dungeon and each room to prevent a massive accumulation of monsters and traps within a small area.

Not yet. The game is currently in development. We will start the first balancing tests in a few weeks.

I am really happy to present the revised dungeon editor in a fully working state. This video is a bit longer that you all get a better feeling how dungeon building will be in Tormentis.

I fixed all known problems with room snapping, room overlapping and height positioning of dungeon elements. Dungeon drafts can be saved and validated already (played to be activated). Current plan for next week: adding UI animations and SFX to the hero menu (stats, traits, inventory) and work on the main menu.

If you have any suggestions and ideas regarding the editor, please let us know :)

Tormentis is going Closed-Alpha :)

The first closed alpha test will start next weekend February 26th/27th and will last for about two weeks. It'll focus on dungeon editor and gameplay usability.

The video shows the Closed-Alpha-1 content: starting in the map editor where you can build and save different dungeon drafts and validate/play them with a predefined character.

If you'd like to participate in the test, please let me know via DM or email ([email protected])

Good luck with the closed alpha! The game does look very appealing, I wish you all the success.

The closed alpha ends this weekend. The feedback we've received so far is awesome and very helpful. Testers made great suggestions for usability improvements and saving clicks here and there.

We're working on the content and schedule for the next closed alpha already ?

The official Tormentis Trailer Teaser is finally done!

I'm currently working on the second closed alpha test version. The last weeks I focused the server side to improve networking. Last week continued working on new monsters and animations.

I'd like to show one of my favorite dev tools where I am spending a lot of time during the last days working on monsters. This one helps me polishing the animations, time the transitions perfectly and adjust overlaying animations.

So much time has passed again... the last few weeks I've been working very hard on Tormentis and in 2 days the second closed alpha test will finally start with over 50 people. This will last two weeks.

I'm really excited because the dungeons are already running under server authority. Three archetypes will be playable, a melee fighter with a 2-handed weapon, an archer and a mage, each with 4 dedicated skills.

During the test I will also release some new videos in which I will go into more detail about the technology as well as the game design.

20220827_joyfreak_1.jpg
20220827_joyfreak_2.jpg
20220827_joyfreak_3.jpg
20220827_joyfreak_4.jpg

Interesting to see a Dev here with a good looking low poly game...
is this just on Steam/PC or will this also be on mobile? just curious. ?

Thank you makoyyy, I'm glad you like it! Yes, I plan to release Tormentis on mobile as well but after the Steam release.

I haven't finalized the overall concept for mobile yet. But a typical question for mobile games is the way of monetization. As I absolutely dislike the typical pay2win concepts in mobile games there will be a focus on visual improvements without affecting game balance.

It's really been a long time since I wrote here. The last few months have been very demanding and a lot has happened. The dungeon lighting has been completely reworked to create a dark atmosphere and the entire UI has been redesigned and aligned.

gameplay-005.jpg

A public demo is available on Steam and via direct download from our website since mid-February.

We are currently working on improvements to the demo, which we plan to release in early June. This includes improved controls, gamepad and Steam Deck support.

If there are streamer here on JoyFreak interested in playing the demo, we be very happy! If you have any questions just send me a message :)

Last edited:

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back