Discussion Tim Sweeney doesn't believe American exceptionalism is a lucky coincidence

Clout

Trophies
Our flag made from the colors of Britain, which we overthrew, with stars representing American states. Our system of law is an Enlightenment reformulation of British law, which was built on Roman law, plus 244 years of our own patches addressing inequities ancient and modern.

I’m very optimistic about the future of America. While the press has always profited from division which they themselves sow, there is a very long history of grievances and crises leading to lasting improvements.

I don’t believe that American exceptionalism is a lucky coincidence, but rather a result of an electoral democracy with the strongest freedoms and checks and balances that have ever existed and endured anywhere at scale.

EcG1jS3WoAEteAg.png

Sweeney is an intelligent guy when it comes to computing and gaming, but I don't think American exceptionalism ever existed - in the fashion he suggests it does (that the path of the US was inherently different from other nations). It's short sighted and neglects much of history and even current events.

He suggests we have the strongest system of checks an balances, and yet we watch the Trump administration use their Department of Justice as a weapon for self gain, while the GOP led Senate purposefully sabotaged impeachment proceedings over that and other misdeeds. Meanwhile, due to the structure of The Senate and the existence of The Electoral College, we live under minority rule.

I'm not an expert in history, law, and governance. I took the same amount of college credits needed in those topics as everyone else. But Sweeney seems particularly myopic here.

It's certainly not a coincidence, no. Is this controversial?
Sadly yes, in today's world it is controversial to notice that the US is not like other nations.

It's controversial to notice that even today, people come here seeking freedom and opportunity. It's controversial to point out that when other nation's economies fall, we hardly notice here in the US, but when our economy falters, the whole world feels it with us. It's controversial to point out that despite all the mistakes we've made as a nation, despite what evil we've done, we are still buy in large one of the greatest forces of good in the world.

For some folks, to do anything other than hate the US for it's lack of perfection is quite controversial indeed.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back