Thoughts on the use of non-gaming apps on gaming consoles

Kaynil

Newcomer
Trophies
Hey guys, I was noticing just how often is nowadays to have a youtube application in almost every recent console. I saw on my PS4 that there is a TV application which lets you download apps like Twitch, Crunchy Roll and NetFlix too. Some people might find them convenient and some others might find it annoying, especially if the app doesn't work as well or there is no way to hide it if you don't care about them.

So I was wondering, what do you guys think of consoles including these type of content? Are there other apps you wish they brought along?
Do you guys use them often?

I know I've used crunchy roll and youtube before. Youtube was fun to watch 3D videos with the 3DS. Some videos worked better than others, haha.

Yeah, I mean I use my XBOX as a multi-use console also - not just games in my household. I have a streaming application on there which I use to watch content that's stored on my PC on my big TV downstairs. Also use it for things like Netflix, YouTube and so on. It's all able to do it so my thoughts are why the hell not use it? Perfect for how I like to play and relax anyway.

I think some consoles will be soon also playing the chromecast like device usage like say you may be able to stream some services through them. So it's going to be multiple use.

I live in a shared house at the moment. My room has no TV aerial socket so without Netflix etc on the console I'd be stuck with nothing to watch.

I think using PC is better for this reason. Because you can play games, netflix and also the thing is that there is definitely less expenses on accessories or unnecessary consoles and handhelds.

I think it's fine, given how close to PCs consoles are these days. I use streaming apps on my Xbox, like Prime Video, Hulu and Plex, nothing wrong with it whatsoever, it doesn't interfere with the gaming aspects of the console and it's a nice feature to have if you're not in the same room as your PC.

Yeah soon the consoles would be usable as entertainment boxes too. It's just that it may not become PC because if it becomes PC like, then console name would be irrelevant and PC master race wins as it is.

Yeah soon the consoles would be usable as entertainment boxes too. It's just that it may not become PC because if it becomes PC like, then console name would be irrelevant and PC master race wins as it is.
I don't think we're more than 1 or 2 generations from that probability, anyway. HTPCs are already quite common, and gaming PCs are already miles ahead of consoles due to their constant upgrades, it seems inevitable that specific video game consoles will cease to exist in the near future.

And it should be like this. I understand handheld can have some future. But I think classic console does not seem to stand a chance.

I've used my PlayStation to watch Playstation event and play dvd/blu-rays on it.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back