News Student sells Pokémon cards for $80,000 to pay for medical school

Nightrider

Trophies
for-web-1.png

FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. - While Pokémon's fictional monsters can't really blow fire or electrocute enemies, in the case of Caleb King, they do hold life-changing powers.

The junior at the University of North Georgia transformed his childhood passion into an investment for eventual medical school, purchasing a series of Pokémon cards as a teen and building on his interest founded as a six-year-old

Right now, King said he has made $80,000 selling cards, after spending a mere $4,000 on the originals – most of which he purchased a few years ago.

King credits this year of isolation for the spike in value.

"People kind of want a distraction from everything that's going on, and I think [Pokémon] is one of the ways people can," King said.

What's more remarkable is King has yet to play his highest value card.

He held up a first edition Red Cheeks Pikachu. "I've seen it sell for $20,000," King said.

He laid out 21 Pokémon cards that he estimates will sell for upwards of $50,000, putting him that much closer to achieving his goal of becoming an orthopedic surgeon.

I'm sure that was painful to do, but I wish I had something like that lying around. Make a lot of my ends meet.

The average cost of medical school (assuming a four-year stint) can range from $150,224 to $248,920 and at the highest end, the cost reaches $398,488.

So while i'm sure it was difficult to part with, it still wont be enough.

The average cost of medical school (assuming a four-year stint) can range from $150,224 to $248,920 and at the highest end, the cost reaches $398,488.

So while i'm sure it was difficult to part with, it still wont be enough.
What, 400 000???? Why is it so high wtf?

What, 400 000???? Why is it so high wtf?
it's because college is expensive and it's getting more costly with each passing year due to demand and student loans and other fun stuff. As time goes on it's just going to become more and more costly until eventually it'll become a luxury, which it already kinda is in a minor sense in this day and age especially when you consider how most colleges have a Grade Point Average minimum which only punishes students that might fail a course or two or even get a low grade for it for whatever reason; which in the end only makes 'discovering what's right for you' even harder for students.

there are some governments that have already addressed the cost issue by making their colleges free but countries like the United States, Japan, England, and etc haven't addressed them properly yet and it's going to nip them in the butt pretty hard in 20 or so years. I've already heard the rise of talks among the students in colleges how 'they're going to just drop out instead' as 'they can just learn whatever online for free' which is admittedly true. It also doesn't help how the majority of my friends both former and present all regretted getting their degrees as 'it was a waste' and such.

it's because college is expensive and it's getting more costly with each passing year due to demand and student loans and other fun stuff. As time goes on it's just going to become more and more costly until eventually it'll become a luxury, which it already kinda is in a minor sense in this day and age especially when you consider how most colleges have a Grade Point Average minimum which only punishes students that might fail a course or two or even get a low grade for it for whatever reason; which in the end only makes 'discovering what's right for you' even harder for students.

there are some governments that have already addressed the cost issue by making their colleges free but countries like the United States, Japan, England, and etc haven't addressed them properly yet and it's going to nip them in the butt pretty hard in 20 or so years. I've already heard the rise of talks among the students in colleges how 'they're going to just drop out instead' as 'they can just learn whatever online for free' which is admittedly true. It also doesn't help how the majority of my friends both former and present all regretted getting their degrees as 'it was a waste' and such
That is expensive :/. Luckily here college is still free (Croatia) as long as long as you are a regular student.

for-web-1.png
I also found some Pokemon cards collection golden pikachu card here.

My old daycare prohibited cards in general because one kid was continually getting his mom involved when he wanted to cancel a trade, and it took me and my friends a month to narrow the ban to those who created the problems rather than those who were wrongfully blamed for them. The kid struck again a year later before moving out of state and allowing me to aid the kids there again.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back