Streamers should pay to license games, says Stadia Creative Director

streamers-should-pay-to-license-games.jpg

Stadia Creative Director Alex Hutchinson has suggested that Twitch streamers should be paying licensing fees for games they stream.

Hutchinson wrote:
Streamers worried about getting their content pulled because they used music they didn’t pay for should be more worried by the fact that they’re streaming games they didn’t pay for as well. It’s all gone as soon as publishers decide to enforce it.

The real truth is the streamers should be paying the developers and publishers of the games they stream. They should be buying a license like any real business and paying for the content they use.

Hutchinson’s comments have received more attention than the entirety of Google’s “Good Stuff” event, a three-day showcase of Stadia.

An outlet reported:
Hutchinson’s tweets received nearly 10,000 retweets on Twitter which significantly exceeds the combined total of retweets on [Google Stadia] tweets across the entirety of the three-day ‘Good Stuff’ event — currently under 2,000 retweets.

Stadia Creative Director received fairly negative comments, targeted at not only Google and Stadia, but at the developer himself.

NelCelestine wrote:
The real truth is that Google should be paying us for the data they mine from us which they use to sell ads. They should be buying a license like any real business and paying for the content they use.

Hutchinson’s Typhoon Studios, known for the recent Journey to the Savage Planet, was acquired by Google Stadia in 2019.

I hear this guy is burning bridges and irritating people. I wouldn't consider what he says to hold any weight.

What a stupid comment. Can't wait for the "apology" or "clarification" that gets posted in a day or two.

Terrible, terrible take. I'm surprised he would publicly say, and double down on, something so stupid.

You pay $20 for an example for the god damn game then extra more money to able to stream?

CRAZY

This guy is money-making, like anything else all about making money.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back