News Sony's Funimation Global Group to Acquire Crunchyroll

Demon_skeith

Trophies
The anime streaming service Crunchyroll announced on Wednesday that Sony's Funimation Global Group will acquire Crunchyroll. Funimation's website also confirmed the acquisition. Sony reports that the purchase price is US$1.175 billion, to be paid in cash at closing. None of the companies have provided any further details about the acquisition, and the deal is still awaiting regulatory approvals and other conditions.

In the announcement, Crunchyroll also noted that it now has 3 million subscribers and 90 million registered users.

source

I just hope Funimation getting a hold of it doesn't ruin some of the streaming content that's on there.

I just hope Funimation getting a hold of it doesn't ruin some of the streaming content that's on there.
That‘s true. Honestly they don’t need to mess with it much. It makes money, hence why they paid so much. Still shocked at the price.

That‘s true. Honestly they don’t need to mess with it much. It makes money, hence why they paid so much. Still shocked at the price.
Agreed, it's a real cash cow right now, but I have this fear when it comes to Funimation, they have this knack for taking something great and "editing" it into...well...something not so great. Obviously they'll do their best to promote Funimation interests over other publishers, as well, meaning content might start leaving their service. If they can just leave it alone and let it be what it is now, it could be fine. If they mess with it...well...then it might start a downward spiral.

Agreed, it's a real cash cow right now, but I have this fear when it comes to Funimation, they have this knack for taking something great and "editing" it into...well...something not so great. Obviously they'll do their best to promote Funimation interests over other publishers, as well, meaning content might start leaving their service. If they can just leave it alone and let it be what it is now, it could be fine. If they mess with it...well...then it might start a downward spiral.
I honestly don't know much about anime. The only anime I have watched from start to finish is Inuyasha. I have watched it multiple times and LOVE it. Have all the movies and the entire series. I know there's a ton out there, but I just end up watching Inuyasha over again.

I honestly don't know much about anime. The only anime I have watched from start to finish is Inuyasha. I have watched it multiple times and LOVE it. Have all the movies and the entire series. I know there's a ton out there, but I just end up watching Inuyasha over again.
Inuyasha's good, so are Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Attack on Titan, Bleach, One Punch Man, Elfen Lied...there are so many great anime series :D

Inuyasha's good, so are Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Attack on Titan, Bleach, One Punch Man, Elfen Lied...there are so many great anime series :D
There are so many Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z episodes. It's insane. I think what I liked about Inuyasha was that it was action and sort of a love story. Reminded me a bit of Final Fantasy VIII (one of my favorite games ever), because Inuyasha is kind of a loner and it changes throughout the series.

There are so many Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z episodes. It's insane. I think what I liked about Inuyasha was that it was action and sort of a love story. Reminded me a bit of Final Fantasy VIII (one of my favorite games ever), because Inuyasha is kind of a loner and it changes throughout the series.
Can't argue with that, there are an absolute tonne of DB episodes, and if you follow it all the way through to today that includes DB, DBZ and DB Super, with a good 15 or so movies...it's quite the time investment.

It could be really cool. There's a lot of great Japanese TV (Gaki no Tsukai, Taiga Drama, and even Takeshi's Castle) that I think would do really well on a global market, and Sony would have an advantage to distribute them. That would be a great avenue to expand beyond anime.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back