News Sony invests $250 million in Fortnite maker Epic Games

Rocketeer

Newcomer
Trophies

For a 1.4% stake, which values Epic at $17b. It's no risk to other platform owners but might speak to Sony's strategy to expand their userbase beyond Playstation consoles (and platforms PS Now is available on). I have to say this valuation makes Tencent's 330m investment in exchange for 40% of the company look very prescient.

I think it's a pretty smart move, it's an investment that is sure to play off.

Sony seems to be spreading the investment like some octopus and it's tentacles. It seems they are trying to own every possible studio with different genere that can keep the users addicted to the games. I think this would be interesting to see where their investments pay off as well.

A huge amount for a relatively small stake. FortNite is huge but that’s an insane valuation.

Actually realised upon reading a few more articles that this is Sony the parent company, not SIE, that's investing. That puts this in a different light, as Sony has multimedia that can use fortnite and the like as a platform, in the vein of Travis Scott's recent virtual concert.

Actually realised upon reading a few more articles that this is Sony the parent company, not SIE, that's investing. That puts this in a different light, as Sony has multimedia that can use fortnite and the like as a platform, in the vein of Travis Scott's recent virtual concert.
I think they are playing like Tencent lately. Have shell corporations buying out the game studios and rotating the profit with investments in them. I think these are some of the known tactics. I think sony wants to expand and take over some of the studis as a backup games for their platform.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back