Sony demands $20.3K from pirated games and console seller

Bergstein

Newcomer
Trophies
Oh boy. Did anyone see this in the news? I would think they have more important things to do than go after something of this magnitude. I imagine it will serve as a good example to others though.

I think it is a good move for Sony to demand damages to any one that copy or replicate their products. Each company or product has it's own protection and ownership. It would be unfair for some producer/designer/developer that their working effort will just be dump and copied by others. Sometimes it is difficult to visualize and implement ideas that is useful.

I think it is a good move for Sony to demand damages to any one that copy or replicate their products. Each company or product has it's own protection and ownership. It would be unfair for some producer/designer/developer that their working effort will just be dump and copied by others. Sometimes it is difficult to visualize and implement ideas that is useful.

Yes, for sure. I think it sets a good example for anyone else trying to do this. I wonder how Sony became aware of the person doing this, as I think there are many others who could be found guilty of the same thing.

I don't think Sony is going to get the money back. The reason being pirates can be sneaky. I can tell you that console sellers who sell the pirated games can be pretty bad as well. I am not sure how the pirated people get caught but based on what I have seen so far it's going to be interesting to see their law suit.

Wow, did not see this coming, I didn't even hear about this. Hope Sony gets its moeny's worth from this.

I don't think Sony is going to get the money back. The reason being pirates can be sneaky. I can tell you that console sellers who sell the pirated games can be pretty bad as well. I am not sure how the pirated people get caught but based on what I have seen so far it's going to be interesting to see their law suit.

True. I'm not sure of the laws in California, but in Civil Law in Canada, if you don't have the funds to pay the court ordered judgement against you, there's not a lot of avenues for the Applicant to pursue in order to get payment. They can garnish your income or bank account, seize assets, and or charge interest. I would assume that the outcome may seem less threatening to someone if you didn't have much to lose.

I would presume they don't care about the figure that much. $20.3k to Sony is like finding a penny on the floor. However, I'm sure they want to make an example of this guy so that it deters anyone from trying to do something similar in the future. Whilst it may not be much to Sony, it will be a large amount to any individual that gets caught.

Yeah you can get into a lot of trouble for selling modded consoles. If you mod a gamesave or mod your console it's not necessarily illegal. What makes it illegal is when you pirate the games and things like that. Interesting that Sony took that approach. You would think twice these days on this topic

A lot of pirated people have been getting hit of late, companies are cracking down and they are charging big for it. It doesn't pay to cheat.

I think piracy being rampant. When getting caught it can be pretty serious offense. So let them do what they can if the person gets caught. Rest is good enough i guess.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back