News Social media use can cause depression in young adults, research claims

Tek

Trophies
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Young adults who increased their use of social media were significantly more likely to develop depression within six months, according to a new national study authored by Dr. Brian Primack, dean of the College of Education and Health Professions and professor of public health at the University of Arkansas.

Compared with participants who used less than 120 minutes per day of social media, for example, young adults who used more than 300 minutes per day were 2.8 times as likely to become depressed within six months.

Doesn't surprise me, people engage in all sorts on social media, striving to get as many likes and views and retweets and wrapping themselves up in what sort of pointless metrics they can garner. Teens that get involved in that and don't learn to differentiate social media nonsense from real life can easily fall into the trap of getting wrapped up in it and stressing themselves out over absolutely nothing.

I've personally abandoned social media outside of efforts like forums and my yearly perusal of facebook to see what estranged family members have decided to wish me a happy birthday. I prefer de-centralized communication platforms, a broader de-centralized approach to the internet in general, and I don't let myself get tied up in pointless metrics like like counts, post counts, and so on. Stressing over absolutely useless metrics is not worth it, and no amount of "followers" or retweets is worth your health.

Doesn't surprise me, people engage in all sorts on social media, striving to get as many likes and views and retweets and wrapping themselves up in what sort of pointless metrics they can garner. Teens that get involved in that and don't learn to differentiate social media nonsense from real life can easily fall into the trap of getting wrapped up in it and stressing themselves out over absolutely nothing.

I've personally abandoned social media outside of efforts like forums and my yearly perusal of facebook to see what estranged family members have decided to wish me a happy birthday. I prefer de-centralized communication platforms, a broader de-centralized approach to the internet in general, and I don't let myself get tied up in pointless metrics like like counts, post counts, and so on. Stressing over absolutely useless metrics is not worth it, and no amount of "followers" or retweets is worth your health.
It’s the sad truth

Don't need research to confirm this, with online bullying and public shaming, its pretty clear it happens.
I've seen a lot of hate in comments over YouTube and Instagram, and response videos to these comments and how it's affected them overall. It's really sad to see.

I agree, 100% with this.

I've felt as if I have just been 'passing the time' for years now, being online. But I have always found that the Internet brings out the worst in people. Most particularly on Facebook, somebody can be like a "friend" one day, then the next day, you suspect you got blocked. That's so lousy and kind of arrogant.

As much as I want to get a partner, Badoo and all that just doesn't seem very good at all. The more professional dating sites most definitely wouldn't be suitable for people with autism.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back