SensorTower: Pokémon Go Has The Most Successful Year in 2019 with almost $900 Million in Player Spending

Jedi

Trophies
Pokémon GO from Niantic had its best year yet in 2019 after generating an estimated $894 million in gross player spending, according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence estimates. This marks the location-based mobile blockbuster’s best year since it launched in 2016, when it grossed $832 million after taking the world by storm.

Pokémon GO caught most of its 2019 revenue in the United States, where it picked up $335 million, or 38 percent of all user spending. Japan ranked No. 2 for revenue with $286 million, or 32 percent of the total, and Germany was No. 3 with $54 million, or 6 percent.

Google Play accounted for the majority of revenue, with users spending $482 million in the game, or 54 percent of the total. The App Store, meanwhile, accumulated $412 million, or 46 percent of all spending. While many top mobile games gross more on iOS, Pokémon GO has historically generated the majority of its revenue on Android.

pokemon-go-worldwide-user-spending-by-year.jpg

Haha. You can see how they had a rough time between 2016 and 2017, with the sales reflecting that. I guess it is when they were making all the changes and people got really frustrated and many uninstalled it. The game has changed quite a bit but I wouldn't say for bad, sure it is not like the console games but it has a nice balance and seems to work nicely. To be able to trade with friends and get some cute edition pokemon is also pretty neat.

I think the popularity with Android over iOS, if I can be frank, is probably due to the mods people were using for it. Before the game told you their levels people would use other programs to know exactly where their pokemon excelled, and then you had the spoofers. people using fake GPS signal to walk all over the world in their quest for Pokemon. Which for people living in rural areas, I am sure it was more than just a little bit tempting. Maybe more people got blocked for cheating with iOS or maybe Android was the only way to use them. Maybe I am cynical, but that's the explanation I can find. Haha

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back