Discussion Resident Evil 4 Remake

Bastty

Newcomer
Trophies
The Free Mercenaries Mode and Curious Microtransactions
If you're a fan of the iconic survival horror game series, Resident Evil, you're in for a treat with the recent release of Resident Evil 4 Remake. Capcom has brought back the beloved Mercenaries mode, a staple in the series, as a free downloadable content (DLC) for all owners of the game on Steam. However, alongside this exciting addition, there are some curious microtransactions that have raised eyebrows among fans.

What is Mercenaries mode?
For those unfamiliar with Mercenaries mode, it's an arcade-style game mode that challenges players to complete objectives within a time limit while facing off against hordes of enemies. It's a fast-paced, action-packed experience that tests your skills in dispatching enemies efficiently and achieving high scores. In the original Resident Evil 4 released in 2004, players had to complete the entire campaign to unlock Mercenaries mode. However, in the remake, this requirement has been removed, allowing players to jump into the mode right away.

Changes in the Remake
While the return of Mercenaries mode is undoubtedly exciting for fans, there are some differences compared to the original version. In the remake, players start with Leon as the playable character and progress through wave-based challenges in the village level. As you score headshots, parry attacks, and collect time boosts, you can unlock new stages based on campaign environments, three additional playable characters, and a powerful handcannon. However, fans have noticed that two popular characters from the original game, Ada Wong and Albert Wesker, are missing from the remake.

Curious Microtransactions
In addition to the absence of Wong and Wesker, Capcom has also introduced microtransactions into the game. This decision has been met with mixed reactions from fans. The microtransactions come in the form of weapon upgrade tickets that can be used at the in-game Merchant shop. Players can purchase these tickets with real money to upgrade their weapons early in the game, which can potentially make the early game easier. However, it's important to note that these microtransactions are not necessary to progress in the game, and their inclusion in the game just two weeks after release has been viewed by some as a sneaky move by Capcom.

Speculation about Future DLC
As with any game that introduces DLC, fans have started speculating about the possibility of Capcom adding new characters like Wong and Wesker to Mercenaries mode through future DLC. While there hasn't been any official announcement regarding this, the datamining of the game files has revealed that both Wong and Wesker were originally planned as playable characters in the remake. This has led to speculation that Capcom may release them as DLC in the future, providing more content and excitement for fans of the game.

Conclusion
In conclusion, the addition of Mercenaries mode as a free DLC in Resident Evil 4 Remake is a welcomed move by Capcom. It's a beloved game mode that has been enjoyed by fans for years, and its return adds replayability and challenges to the remake. However, the omission of Wong and Wesker, as well as the introduction of microtransactions, has raised some questions among fans. While the future of DLC in the game remains uncertain, it's clear that Resident Evil 4 Remake continues to provide a thrilling and action-packed experience for fans of the franchise.

"Resident Evil 4 Remake is a brilliant action shooter that is big and daft and brilliant, a retelling of a classic crafted on its own terms." - Vid bud Liam in his review.

RESIDENT EVIL IV.png

I happened to notice that this remake included more puzzles. I don't quite understand the purpose of doing that. The game was always like, 95% action. But they decided to amp up the puzzles.

Apart from that, there wasn't that many changes, unlike with the previous two RE Engine remakes. They decided to completely alter those games, especially 3. But 2 had a lot of missing content as well. For example, I noticed the spiders and the crows were entirely gone. I also thought it was kind of silly how you see Mr. X patrolling the police station at the same spot initially, regardless of who you are playing as.

In the 1998 version, he was only seen in the B scenario. So I think they maybe got lazy in that regard, or just decided it no matter mattered about the general continuity.

Since I'm here, I just wanted to say that if anybody didn't like RE3 because it had so much content cut out of the game, then how come that disdain is nowhere to be found in discussions that cover the remakes of RE2 and 4?

Hmm. I just don't get that. At all, really.

Then again, I kind of do get it. People play favourites with everything, from video games to bands that release shitty cover versions.

You can't bash on one game for doing it, then decide it's okay to take a blind eye to other games that carried out similar practices, just because you love their original counterparts more than that particular sequel you're critical of, or whatever it happens to be.

Like for example, I know the original RE4 is this overrated action game that barely has elements of proper survival horror gaming in it. Yet it's somehow the one game everyone loves in a franchise, that was legitimately a horror series beforehand. Then the remake came out just a month ago. It has cut content too, but I will admit that it's nothing that ruins the general gameplay. Only a small handful of users have mentioned it, though, only because of how glorified RE4 has been since 2005.

I just so happened to notice that there were additional puzzles in this remake. I'm not sure why you would want to do that. The majority of the game was always action. But they chose to make the puzzles more difficult.

Contrary to the other two RE Engine remakes, there weren't many alterations aside from that. They made the decision to entirely change those games, particularly 3. However, 2 also had a lot of blank pages. For instance, I observed that the ravens and spiders had vanished completely. Additionally, I found it amusing that no matter who you are playing as, Mr. X always patrols the police station in the same location at first.

He appeared just in scenario B in the 1998 remake. I believe they may have been complacent or simply thought that the continuity overall didn't matter.

The fact that Capcom waited until the reviews and YouTube content had all been done before adding in those microtransactions retroactively sets a very bad precedent.

1. There are people who avoid games with these practices for whatever reason and it is not fair to just spring this on them like this.
  2. It's not fair to the journalists and content creators who's reviews are out of date and no longer speak the full truth about the game through no fault of thier own.
  3. If video game's ratings boards start considering microtransactions when deciding how a game should be rated (as they should), what would stop companies like EA and 2K from just adding thier "surprise mechanics" in post launch to avoid a rating they don't want? I know that really doesn't affect RE4 Remake as the game is obviously intended and rated for a mature audience anyway, but it's still very worrying.
  4. Capcom knew this was wrong and that people would hate it, otherwise they wouldn't have had to add in this pay-to-win bullshit in the way they did.
  5. This encourages piracy. A cracked copy of the game won't go online, so players don't have to deal with this.

Last edited:
Yeah. I found it suspicious that this game didn't have nearly as much cut content as the other reimaginings. Probably because RE4 is the peak point of the whole franchise. But I find that somewhat shallow. They also completely skipped the "Code: Veronica" story, when that's a part of a non numbered mainline entry that occurred before 4.

By some 5 years, too. It's shocking how they're inclined to just remake them out of order because one makes more cash than the other.

Of course, it's RE-freaking-4. The overly praised action horror hokum, 2005, Game of the Year...

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back