Discussion ResetEra bans me without an explanation

Miles

Trophies
I've just been banned on ResetEra for 3 months without an explanation, no link to what I said that earned me a ban, and no way to even identify the mod who did it so I could get a better understanding of the problem. I'm not interested in being a part of that place if mods are going to effectively give me the middle finger and not even bother to explain why. Who else has had the same problem? Share your experiences here.

resetera-bans.png

I've just been banned on ResetEra for 3 months without an explanation, no link to what I said that earned me a ban, and no way to even identify the mod who did it so I could get a better understanding of the problem. I'm not interested in being a part of that place if mods are going to effectively give me the middle finger and not even bother to explain why. Who else has had the same problem? Share your experiences here.

I personally never got banned, but I've seen plenty of people banned for the dumbest reasons.

Haven’t had that Issue of being banned, but being a admin of many sites over the years, I think you should always supply a reason behind the ban to the user, unless it’s a spam account.

I personally think it's not worth the effort to appeal my ban either because if they can easily ban someone just like that then it's not somewhere I'd put my own efforts into.

It's not worth it to appeal your ban. People have been banned for calling out their hive-mindedness and trying to get everyone else to notice, but the ResetERA community are completely brainwashed.

Here's a couple of links that should help shed some light on just what kind of community ResetERA actually is. At least, I found it enlightening.

Don't sweat it. The cite is a cellpool. I got permabanned a couple of months ago for criticizing China's human rights violations - I shit you not. I'm really not sure what's wrong with the mods, but something clearly is wrong.

I couldn't even join ResetEra. They wanted people to sign up using a domain email address. Since I don't have one, they rejected my membership.

With that said, maybe I am not missing much. Elitist forums like that are bound to be full of pompous users. So I wouldn't worry about not being a part of it.

I never joined ResetEra, but if the staff are that quick to ban over nothing, then you're probably better off not being there. I can't speak for their policies or politics with regards to staffing and enforcing rules, but I do know from experience that large sites like theirs do take a lot of work to enforce, so sometimes what feels like fringe infractions can be something that they need to enforce to keep things moving along the way they want the community moving, if that makes sense. Like I said, though, if it's a no reason ban that doesn't add up, just stay away from there. Plenty of other great communities out there, like this one ;)

I got banned for calling out the hypocrisy of the black reviewer for Miles Morales saying "swagger of a black teen" when they thought he was white but when it transpired that he was actually a person of colour it was suddenly not a problem. I didn't find the matter to be a problem at all, the guy did nothing wrong and was certainly not racist, he was merely praising the character and game.

The website seemed alright for the latest gaming news and general discussion of games but as people have already said if you go against the hive mind you get singled out. Too many people getting offended by things that never even cross my mind, like why is it a problem that a voice actor of a particular skin colour can't voice act for a character of different skin colour? If you didn't know what colour the VA's skin was it wouldn't have been an issue because you can't necessarily tell someone's skin colour by what they sound like. Their general retort is "well there's less black VAs than White, so they should automatically be given black character roles over white VAs". How about developers just hire the best sounding voice for the role they have? Isn't that normally how hiring for any job works? You take a person's ethnicity, beliefs and sexuality out of the equation and hire them based on what value they bring to the table. What makes this even worse is how they talk about people saying they should be cancelled, sacked or die.

After being perma-banned with no way of appealing or discussing the matter I just thought fuck the place, all I want to do is share my passion for games with other people without going down the rabbit hole of politics and the wretched cesspool of an echo chamber and being afraid of inadvertently offending someone and being silenced. Games are meant to be fun and a way to escape the shite of modern-day life, let's not taint it with hatred and anger.

Wow. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who experienced such obscene behaviour from the moderators. I think I just found my new home, thanks guys!

I got banned for calling out the hypocrisy of the black reviewer for Miles Morales saying "swagger of a black teen" when they thought he was white but when it transpired that he was actually a person of colour it was suddenly not a problem. I didn't find the matter to be a problem at all, the guy did nothing wrong and was certainly not racist, he was merely praising the character and game.

The website seemed alright for the latest gaming news and general discussion of games but as people have already said if you go against the hive mind you get singled out. Too many people getting offended by things that never even cross my mind, like why is it a problem that a voice actor of a particular skin colour can't voice act for a character of different skin colour? If you didn't know what colour the VA's skin was it wouldn't have been an issue because you can't necessarily tell someone's skin colour by what they sound like. Their general retort is "well there's less black VAs than White, so they should automatically be given black character roles over white VAs". How about developers just hire the best sounding voice for the role they have? Isn't that normally how hiring for any job works? You take a person's ethnicity, beliefs and sexuality out of the equation and hire them based on what value they bring to the table. What makes this even worse is how they talk about people saying they should be cancelled, sacked or die.

After being perma-banned with no way of appealing or discussing the matter I just thought fuck the place, all I want to do is share my passion for games with other people without going down the rabbit hole of politics and the wretched cesspool of an echo chamber and being afraid of inadvertently offending someone and being silenced. Games are meant to be fun and a way to escape the shite of modern-day life, let's not taint it with hatred and anger.
Yeah, that definitely seems to be the way those mega sites go in terms of moderation. Either none of it or too much of it, and always catering to the latest political correctness to ensure no one feels offended. It's why I feel more comfortable on communities that aren't insanely crowded. Better communities, more leeway in postings, not everyone gets offended by every little thing. You're right, gaming is meant to be an escape, a bit of fun in a trying time, and I love communities that get that and let people be passionate about that without trying to shoe horn them into a PC mindset.

I have went through my life facing similar scrutiny. It's best not to let it mess you up as a person. Although I know part of you wants to say something in response to them, it's better not to.

I've been banned on multiple subreddits, but I heard ResetEra is a ban happy place

Aren't these the guys who started the rumour mill about the Silent Hill reboot?

Thanks for a whole year of wild goose chasing.

?

I would try to reach out to the admin, an answer is required with any ban. If they do it without reason, then it's a bad site to be on.

I would try to reach out to the admin, an answer is required with any ban. If they do it without reason, then it's a bad site to be on.
I think the staff deliberate amongst themselves before making the decision, I'd imagine. Tbh, I'm done with being a part of that site, it's full of toxic social justice people that are overly the top. You can easily get banned for just disagreeing with something they believe in.

Don't sweat it, they ban people for extremely silly and unjustified reasons.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back