Recurring Dreams coming to PC, Mac, iOS, Android

Sinryuko

Newcomer
Trophies
Hi everyone! I'm a game developer, and I've created a demo for my game, Recurring Dreams, for PC, Mac, Android, and iOS that I'd like to share. The details are below. I hope you enjoy it! Any feedback is welcome.

You can download the demo at my website: https://www.dreamportalgames.com/downloads
as well as download/wishlist it on Steam:

About the Game:

Recurring Dreams tells the tale of a lucid dreamer named Rath, who's trapped in the dreamworld unable to wake up. There he finds a strange power that lets him connect with other dreamers, and he ventures forth to help them with their innermost anxieties while searching for his own path to awakening. Wielding the powers of lucidity, Rath faces off with their recurring nightmares to inspire courage and hope within them. Will he find his way back to reality? Find out by playing!​
Experience fast-paced high-flying side-scrolling action while exploring the dreamworld! Try the demo to experience the smooth physics and controls for yourself. The game features customizable keyboard, gamepad, and touchscreen controls (touchscreen is only recommended for multitouch devices).​

Demo Features:

1 Tutorial Stage​
1 Level Selection Hub (only one choice for the demo though, I'll be expanding/decorating this area a bit more in the final version)​
1 Primary Stage: Cloud Towers Carnival (I may rework this a bit in the final version to make it fresh and give it better exploration/secrets)​
4 Attack Powers to use/learn called Concepts, each with 5 tiers of growth​
2 Spell Powers to use/learn called Thoughts​
1 Leveling System with difficulty/reward adjustment​
3 Attribute System for character customization called Awareness, Intelligence, and Mastery​
2 Mini-Games to discover​
1 Item Upgrade to find​
7 Interactable NPCs​
3 Customizable Control Systems: Keyboard, Gamepad, and Touchscreen​

Last edited:
My level decorations are a bit lacking at the moment. Hoping to improve that in time during the development. Glad to hear you like how the gameplay looks though. I'm working on an update that will add more difficulty settings including an easy mode as well as another way to use the collectible stars to get stronger. Will post when I upload it.

I quite like the retro look. The graphics could definitely be improved but it depends how modern you want to make it, it would take away that "classic" feel to it. Good luck. I'll give it a go when it's available.

The oversaturation of bright colors strains my eyes a tad when there is a movement but outside of that it's nice.

Sorry it strains your eyes snaliex. A lot of my color choices are probably influenced by me being colorblind, so I have to just pick shades based on numbers. I try to make the colors stand out and have a large variety when it comes to shading.

I plan to keep the graphic style looking retro. I may tweak animations and some colorings sometimes if I think something would look better a different way though. I designed it to be really low resolution so that it functions well on many devices. It runs on 10 year old laptops and even the iPhone 4 (which is the oldest supported iPhone).

I uploaded the newest update to every version on my website, Steam, and Itch.io. The biggest change is a new easy mode selectable from the file creation screen and adjustable later too, better higher difficulties, and a Exchange machine where you can trade stars for attribute points. Also tweaked a few enemy placements in the level, added more stone towers including some floating ones for better platforming, more decorations, removed foreground towers totally (people often said they died by jumping into them), improved the tutorial slightly, and fixed any bugs I encountered along the way. I found one typo after I uploaded, but it's pretty minor (wrote attributes points on some text instead of attribute points). Exporting it takes a few hours thanks to Apple. My Kickstarter is launching Wednesday, so my focus will be on advertising for a little while.

Edit: Got up early enough that I felt like fixing the typo. Also fixed some misaligned text for the website version that I missed. Updated everything. Google Play and TestFlight gotta go through review though before it's up, which usually takes a day or two.

Last edited:
Let me know what you think BigPete! The Kickstarter didn't quite work out for me, but I'm still hard at work on it. My plan is to just work really hard and try to finish it up with my own money in the course of the next year. I think I just had poor marketing, bad timing with the virus, and being a month before the holidays doesn't help. I plan to keep sharing updates though so I can slowly build up the anticipation.

I've got some decent changes that I'll be updating the demo with in the next couple days. The current version is a bit too difficult, so I've rebalanced a lot of things. I'm making a lot of much needed changes to the Thought spellcasting system so it scales better with Mastery stat. I also upgraded the level selector to preview the stage's music, I've picked songs for every primary stage, so that will give people a taste of what's to come. I won't be adding the other stages beyond that though to the demo. They'll be saved for the full release!

Alright, the new version is uploaded to all the links at the top. This will likely be my last update to the demo aside from any needed fixes that might come up. Now I'll be focusing on making the next stage, which takes place inside of a cat's mind. It's gonna be wacky. My goal is to finish each stage in a month, and release the whole thing in a year.

Alright, the new version is uploaded to all the links at the top. This will likely be my last update to the demo aside from any needed fixes that might come up. Now I'll be focusing on making the next stage, which takes place inside of a cat's mind. It's gonna be wacky. My goal is to finish each stage in a month, and release the whole thing in a year.
Keep up the good work!

I hope everyone has been enjoying the holidays! I recently added a new Widescreen mode to the game and updated it into the demo as I think it makes the game a bit nicer, especially on mobile. I've also added a bunch of other minor improvements, and added the new monsters I've been working on for the majority of the past month into the Colosseum of Nightmares. I'll be adding these to the next stage once I finish creating it. The new Widescreen mode can also be toggled back to the old style through the options menu as I imagine some people may prefer it differently depending on their resolution. I've improved the default touchscreen sizing so it should maximize without overlapping height-wise (I don't think width-wise should be a problem unless someone has a square screen as the game is set to always be landscape style). I also worked on improving some of the code to perform better, as I sometimes see lag on my test device for android. Lastly, I've added a leveling up system to the attack powers, which lets you slightly strengthen the one you prefer to use by defeating enemies with it.

I hope you all enjoy the changes, and feel free to give me any feedback on the game.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back