News Rare version of Super Mario classic becomes highest selling game!

22_22

Newcomer
Trophies
An anonymous bidder purchased a rare version of 1985 classic Super Mario Bros at an auction for a whopping $114,000 (£90,000). Part of the reason why it was popular and expensive for bidders was that it remained in its original packaging, of which has only been used a handful of times.

I find it remarkable when I see news like this. I wonder how on earth people can afford to spend so much on a game, that they might not even play as it will likely remain in its packaging again.

Just yesterday, I was reading about Mario games and how it totally changed the gaming industry for an essay.

Its told that Mario games singlehandedly revived the gaming industry from the ATARI FALLS in mid 1980s. I wouldnt be much surprised to see how people fondly recollect those days. A plumber and a princess changed the face of entertainment.

I wonder how on earth people can afford to spend so much on a game, that they might not even play as it will likely remain in its packaging again.

I've felt that way since I first saw a copy of Stadium Events selling for about $50k, it's insane that people can spend that kind of money on games, and yet as a collector I totally understand wanting those holy grails in your collection. Then again, if I actually owned one, I'd be terrified of keeping it on display anywhere because it's a target...

Anyone who bought such a game would be an idiot to ever open it, because having it factory sealed is what makes it worth the money. People in the days of the NES would just open the box, take the cartridge and manuals out and that was it, the box was history or it would eventually get destroyed from use. That's why boxed NES games are so expensive in general, so obviously the rarer a game is in loose cart form, the more expensive it's going to be complete and the more impossible it's going to be to find factory sealed. That's what drives the value for games like this.

If there are too many copies and there is going to be more on the market then it's not really rare. when we say rare it is usually under 10 number. I think based on what we are reading about it around the web. It's pretty much findable amount for the game. Should be a good collector item either way.

Wish I had that kind of money to burn, would be awesome but congrats to the bid winner to get such a thing.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back