R.I.P Moshi Monsters (2008-2019)

Paladin

Hack The Planet!
Trophies
About 2 hours ago, someone posted on Twitter that Moshi Monsters was shutting down. I went on the website and this is what greeted me on the News page:

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 12.37.31 PM.jpg

A little part of me just died inside.... ?

My childhood and my nostalgia are now destroyed. I remember being 7 and 8 years old, on a bright morning, in front of my mom's computer loading Moshi Monsters and unlocking all the Moshlings. Playing all the games, doing fun things... when I was 9, my dad even bought me a Moshi Monsters annual (2013, if I remember correctly.)

And now Moshi Monsters is all gone, because Flash itself will shut down in mid-2020, rendering every online community from 2000 to 2010 inaccessible. I've saved the News page in the Wayback Machine and will continue to do so every day until December 12. After that, the only way I'll be able to get my nostalgia back is throug the Wayback Machine.

R.I.P to Club Penguin, Moshi Monsters, Fantage, and all the other online communities that were the cornerstone of my childhood. R.I.P to Flash too. 2020 will be a good year, but it will also be the death blow for many, many online communities.

xenonVirus. Does anybody else remember Moshi Monsters beside me?

Last edited:
Ouch, sucks that such a long game will end. But maybe it will be privately hosted by some fan gamers?

But maybe it will be privately hosted by some fan gamers?

Like Club Penguin Rewritten was hosted privately? I'm not sure.

When Club Penguin died in 2017, the Rewritten team used the .swf files to host it privately, like what you were saying. However, .swf files will be completely useless by 2020, because they use Flash themselves. In that case, the only real possibility to save it would be converting every .swf file to HTML5, which takes lots and lots of time and is a tiring process. This isn't true for just Moshi Monsters, but every online community that uses Flash.

xenonVirus. When Adobe Flash dies, a huge proportion of the Internet - flash games and flash sites - will follow - so much of the Internet will go down.

Last edited:
There was a time when I used to like it but then considering game engines and the platforms change so many good games die.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back