News PS5 UI reveal 'coming soon'

WillWJN

Newcomer
Trophies
PS5-startup-screen-UI.png

Matt MacLaurin, the VP of UX Design at Sony PlayStation, took to LinkedIn to talk about how the PS5 will redesign its dashboard and general interface. There are even hints that the new OS will be shown off soon.

urc0k0LsgFbqfelhl5ATA2MeJZ9rQVVKMGF3DDm3.jpeg

Before we jump into what MacLaurin actually said, it's worth note that Tom Warren posted to Twitter with a video of the PS5 UI teaser present at the PS5 Reveal event. Whilst it isn't flashy, we can get an idea of what the PS5 UI might actually look like.

Most of the information, as of right now, comes from LinkedIn. One question asked of MacLaurin was "What kind of new OS could we be looking at? Love the design, does it come in black?" to which he replied "We'll show more of the OS soon! And I'm sure there will be a special edition for everyone. I'm hoping for a Horizon Forbidden West special edition."

Whilst we should take what MacLaurin says at face value, it's interesting that he says that there will be a special edition for everyone, implying that the design we saw at the PS5 reveal will be iterated on constantly, similarly to the PS4. Also, we'll be seeing the OS in full soon. Which will be interesting considering the Series X is opting for the same dashboard as it's last-gen console.

o13hewBHSt8GsaT2EjupMJbuQ0KFHvLjBB8cZj3R.jpeg
MacLaurin also makes it clear that the UI of the PS5 won't be too similar to that of the PS4, it'll be entirely new: "my team is the user interface, not the ID - you'll see our stuff soon. A little more pragmative, but a 100% overhaul of PS4 UI and some very different new concepts."

Everything is still tightlipped around the PS5, we don't have a price or release date as of yet. MacLaurin isn't giving away too much, but it's interesting to know that Sony will be presenting the UI to us before launch, likely to familiarise consumers with the way it works.

Source: TheGamingRecord | PS5 UX Designer Says the New Dashboard will be shown off soon

Can't wait to see what it looks like. The little sneak peek during the PS5 event made me very excited so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it will be quite different from the PS4 one.

Digital version is the one many will go for and it looks so cool and sexy. When it hits India the price will be so high :(

I think they have made UI keeping in mind the current generation. you can't please the old timers with new design. So if you are one of those then don't expect much. The changes are going to come in. And things will be lot different in UI in near times. It's just that we have to get used to them.

I hope its better, I'm not a big fan of the PS3 or PS4 UI thus far.
The PS4 one wasn't too bad but could have been a lot better. I think the biggest problem with it was how slow it was. Just feels so unresponsive sometimes.

I really want to see the PS5's UI. Like many other people in this thread, I hope that it's new and futuristic, but I didn't mind the PS4's UI, and I would be OK if the new UI is based off of the PS4's.

The PS4 one wasn't too bad but could have been a lot better. I think the biggest problem with it was how slow it was. Just feels so unresponsive sometimes.

that might be the hard drive not able to get all the info out quickly, a ssd would help a lot.

Yep, that SSD is going to help make a huge difference. Can't wait to actually open the PlayStation Store quickly as well. Tired of staring at my PS4 theme for about 2 minutes whilst it loads lol

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back