PS5 SSD storage expansion support not offered at launch

ps5-ssd-storage-expansion.jpg

PS5 has an internal storage expansion, but Sony has confirmed the functionality won’t be supported at launch.

Sony detailed that the external SSD expansion support will be “reserved for a future update”, meaning players will need to rely on the PS5’s reported 667GB SSD and USB 3.0-powered external hard drives for storage. PS5 games cannot be played from USB 3.0-powered drives.

Sony also detailed that the M.2 SSDs will have to exceed transfer speeds of 5.5GB/second over a PCI Gen4 bandwidth connection. A list of supported drives has not been issued by Sony yet, with tech lead Mark Cerny advising customers to hold off on buying a drive just in case it’s not compliant.

PS5 heads to retail stores on 12 November.

This was pretty much confirmed earlier during that talk where most people complained it was just technical crap and not proper gaming news.

Still hard to believe this isn't offered at launch, but as long as you can add it without complications later thats fine.

As I said in another thread, not a good look for the PS5. This should’ve been available immediately.

Inappropriate advertising / spam
It's very weird that they do not allow this storage expansion at launch. That would save a lot of time later. Also, if the player is not really good in all the technical sides, it might be quite challenging. My friend once lost all the hard drive data because of this and had to look for data recovery service.

You can add it without complications later, don't worry. Still, I understand that it is hard to believe that such an intelligent technology doesn't have such a simple feature.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back