PS5 pre-orders could be limited to one per household by Sony

ps5-pre-orders-could-be-limited-to-one-per-household-by-sony.jpg

PS5 pre-orders could be limited to one console per household, Sony code suggests.

A Reddit user has found code on the PlayStation Direct website that reads:
You can only purchase one version of the PS5™ Console: Disc or Digital. You have already added one PS5™ console to your cart.

It seems to only be limited to the PlayStation Direct website, so those looking for a second console could pre-order through another retailer.

The user has also found code that will flag PS4 games as backwards compatible on PS5, with a banner that reads “PS5 Compatible”. The code was applied it to Days Gone to get a feel of what it will look like.

ps5-pre-orders-could-be-limited-to-one-per-household-by-sony-1.jpg

PS5 pre-orders are not yet available, though Sony did confirm that users will get advanced notice before the event. We’ll keep you updated as we know more.

One per household? I wonder why they made this decision.
Perhaps they anticipated the storm that would follow on release, and decided to try and tamp it down?
Or did they realize that the PS5 had an astounding amount of hype surrounding it and simply realized that they'd need to limit available orders in order to prevent the PS5 from being sold out immediately?

One per household? I wonder why they made this decision.
Perhaps they anticipated the storm that would follow on release, and decided to try and tamp it down?
Or did they realize that the PS5 had an astounding amount of hype surrounding it and simply realized that they'd need to limit available orders in order to prevent the PS5 from being sold out immediately?
It's to stop scalpers. It happens with limited quantity shoes as well where people buy up loads of them and then try to make a profit selling it to others who couldn't get one at launch.

Seems more like Sony themselves will limit orders. Don’t see how they will enforce this across various retailers successfully, though I hope they’re successful. Scalpers suck. Biased of course, I want a digital only PS5 on launch.

Seems more like Sony themselves will limit orders. Don’t see how they will enforce this across various retailers successfully, though I hope they’re successful. Scalpers suck. Biased of course, I want a digital only PS5 on launch.
I hope they don't limit it to each household because that would suck big time! People will just get it ordered to their friends, family or neighbours house anyway. People will find a way to cheat the system. But I think it would only be limited until the pandemic is over, as I'd imagine the reason why they're doing it is so they don't run out of production easily.

How would they know who's from the same household? You can use a fake address, a VPN, etc, when signing up.

How would they know who's from the same household? You can use a fake address, a VPN, etc, when signing up.

Exactly. It's easy to defeat the system, and it's easy to use different IP addresses while ordering PS5's to the same place. Long story short - while I think that Sony is justified in trying to limit scalper's access to PS5's, it will be super easy to get around their restrictions.

It's a nice attempt, but I don't think it will curb the resellers much and not many households really need more than one.

It's to stop scalpers. It happens with limited quantity shoes as well where people buy up loads of them and then try to make a profit selling it to others who couldn't get one at launch.

I hope this becomes the norm. I wish Apple would do it. I don't buy every iPhone, but sometimes a new one comes out with interesting features and I would like to upgrade my three or four year old phone. Only, pre-orders sold out in like four days and now if I want to get a new one I either have to wait five months or pay three or four hundred dollars more than the MSRP to some eBay scalper.

I hope this is true and Sony is getting ahead of this. I remember back in 2013 to get a PS4 even a few months after release a person would have to go to websites tracking availability, then show up at some local store at the crack of dawn and wait in line for an hour. It was silly.

I'm quite certain I heard about the PS3 or the PS4 being restricted, but that's not really possible. Even IP addresses change. Nobody has to put their real address or name online anyway.

I'm Bob Hall, and I'm from Paris, France. There. Sorted! :D

How are they even going to verify one per household? I don't think that sort of distribution would work. it will only increase the black market demand. And this may only increase their sales too. so this is more like tactic for small distribution and increasing things over period of time.

I'm quite certain I heard about the PS3 or the PS4 being restricted, but that's not really possible. Even IP addresses change. Nobody has to put their real address or name online anyway.

I'm Bob Hall, and I'm from Paris, France. There. Sorted! :D
Well you have to put your real address in to get the product

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back