PS5 outperforms Xbox Series X on third-party titles

ps5-outperforms-xbox-series-x.png

Microsoft is investigating a number of performance issues surrounding third-party titles on Xbox Series X and Series and is working to correct those issues, the company has advised.

A new report suggests that the Xbox Series X, capable of 12 teraflops of performance, is being outdone by the PS5 (which comes in at 10.28 teraflops) on a a series of titles including Devil May Cry 5, DiRT 5, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War. The Xbox Series X is outperformed due to FPS (frames-per-second) prioritisation modes on the PS5, with titles like DiRT 5 performing better on PS5 on both the FPS and resolution front.

Richard Leadbetter at Digital Foundry said:
The dips [in performance] look really strange to me, and it kind of suggests to me some kind of API limitation on the Xbox side where the GPU is being held back by something.

Another report suggests that developers have had more time with PS5 dev kits as compared to Xbox Series dev kits, meaning less optimisation time and corresponding performance. However, Microsoft did confirm it’s working to address those issues.

A Microsoft spokesperson said:
We are aware of performance issues in a handful of optimized titles on Xbox Series X|S and are actively working with our partners to identify and resolve the issues to ensure an optimal experience.

As we begin a new console generation, our partners are just now scratching the surface of what next-gen consoles can do and minor bug fixes are expected as they learn how to take full advantage of our new platform. We are eager to continue working with developers to further explore the capability of Xbox Series X|S in the future.

PS5, Xbox Series X and Series S are all available now.

Pretty sure that honor goes to the Switch really. But glad to see 3rd party is doing well on PS5.

Standard RAM will be of the GDDR6 variety, with the Xbox Series X including 16GB – a pleasing upgrade over the Xbox One X's 12GB GDDR5. These specs show a slight lead for the Xbox Series X over the PS5 in terms of raw performance, but so far the gap in real-world performance has been indistinguishable.

I’m happy with the third party updates that my games have been getting for the Series X. Most specifically the Valhalla update that dropped recently. HUGE performance boost

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back