News PS5 is "a masterpiece of systems design" says Epic Games

Clout

Trophies
Epic Games' VP of engineering Nick Penwarden has called the PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design", after working with the console's dev kit to help create last month's jaw-dropping Unreal Engine 5 tech demo.

"The PlayStation 5 is a masterpiece of systems design," says Penwarden. "Not only is it driving a huge leap in computing and graphics performance, but it is also revolutionary in terms of storage and data compression technology, unlocking new kinds of games and experiences for players to enjoy."

In interview with Official PlayStation Magazine, Epic Games has praised the PS5 calling it "a masterpiece of systems design". It seems Cerny has delivered!

Yet it will still be rendered obsolete by PC tech at time of release. The complete lack of upgradeability sees to that. You also have to think, the hardware of the PS5 and the Xbox Series X are already set and fixed. PC technology rolls on.

Cost, of course, not in the slightest considered!

It's just mutual marketing speak, but yeah I don't doubt it will be beefy.

PC is always my default but as always, it depends on exclusives.

Looks like a router to me, if I'm completely honest. I won't be getting any next gen console right away anyway, so price isn't much of a concern to me at this point in time. I got other bills I need to pay first before I even think about buying a next-gen console, whether it be the PS5 or the Xbox Series X.

It's just mutual marketing speak, but yeah I don't doubt it will be beefy.

PC is always my default but as always, it depends on exclusives.

They're doing some really interesting things in speeding up the entire I/O pipeline and reducing how much I/O is needed in general. I think after the first wave of games, when developers have really mastered the platform and figured out a lot of tricks and techniques they can pull, we're going to see some games that far exceed what would be expected by only looking at the core compute specs.

But just in case, I keep a beefy PC around anyways too :)

*glances again at the design* Yeeeeah, no. It's unique, but not the best here is.

Not sure how the masterpiece is being said consdiering I assume epic must have some sort of deal with the console makers. I guess they are just patting each others back on that note. But either way, I personally think we have to wait and see on the hardware and software performance after the sales.

Not sure how the masterpiece is being said consdiering I assume epic must have some sort of deal with the console makers. I guess they are just patting each others back on that note. But either way, I personally think we have to wait and see on the hardware and software performance after the sales.
Yeah it sounds like they are doing it purely on the basis of marketing. They probably have a better deal with PS5.

Yet it will still be rendered obsolete by PC tech at time of release. The complete lack of upgradeability sees to that. You also have to think, the hardware of the PS5 and the Xbox Series X are already set and fixed. PC technology rolls on.

Cost, of course, not in the slightest considered!
Will that be true for all PC gamers though? Not everyone can afford a PC powerful enough to rival the PS5 and if do try, I can guarantee its going to be a lot more expensive than what the PS5 will be.

Yeah it sounds like they are doing it purely on the basis of marketing. They probably have a better deal with PS5.
Yes because on the basis of design they got a lot of negative tweet from designers and also the users. So design is definitely not the place where they can be good or awesome as the EPIC games implies. I am definitely guessing this is internal deal that is making people say so.

Yes because on the basis of design they got a lot of negative tweet from designers and also the users. So design is definitely not the place where they can be good or awesome as the EPIC games implies. I am definitely guessing this is internal deal that is making people say so.
I don't know why there's been so much negative comments on the design. I quite like it.

I don't know why there's been so much negative comments on the design. I quite like it.
This topic is about the internal architecture rather than the aesthetics. It will be interesting to see how this performs as although CPU wise it is less powerful than the next Xbox, it will be interesting to see how its internal drive is used and what impact it's sound processor has on lessening CPU load. Maybe for what it is, it may turn out to be a masterpiece in design.

This topic is about the internal architecture rather than the aesthetics. It will be interesting to see how this performs as although CPU wise it is less powerful than the next Xbox, it will be interesting to see how its internal drive is used and what impact it's sound processor has on lessening CPU load. Maybe for what it is, it may turn out to be a masterpiece in design.
Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see I guess. I reckon it won't turn out half as bad as people are making it out to be.

The reason being this design is an experiment for both users and also for the cooling and the heating point of view. We don't know how good the processors are heating or cooling when we are faced with the strong games. So yeah we have to wait and see the effect of this design on gamers.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back